Passer Juvenile with cloudy eye in quarantine

Hello

I bought a passer angel (4") last Tuesday and he has been doing wonderful except I started to notice two days ago that his right eye slowly began turning cloudy and protruding a little more than the other eye.

His left eye is in great shape. He is eating very well (nori). I have began soaking my nori with fresh garlic and he gobbles it up like a champ. I hope that will boost his immune system.

I just performed a 50% water change in his 10 gallon QT.

I heard using about a teaspoon of epsom salt would help as well.

Do any of you all have any suggestions with how to clear his eye up?

Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
He needs a lot more than nori. Nori is really for human consumption. Try getting some algae sheets made for fish. Additionally add some variety fish offerings, including meaty. See if your LFS has Spirulina. Look for variety and include an angel prep that has sponge if possible. Feed the fish 2x a day. Use fresh garlic juice that has been minced then immediately soaked in meaty food and given to fish. Anything but fresh will have no medicinal value. Use the garlic soaked food for one feeding then use Selcon or Zoecon supplement soaked in food for the 2nd meal.

Check with your store to see if it has Maracyn Two for saltwater fish (just in case it is needed).

What are your current water readings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/396692/passer-juvenile-with-cloudy-eye-in-quarantine#post_3534499
He needs a lot more than nori. Nori is really for human consumption. Try getting some algae sheets made for fish. Additionally add some variety fish offerings, including meaty. See if your LFS has Spirulina. Look for variety and include an angel prep that has sponge if possible. Feed the fish 2x a day. Use fresh garlic juice that has been minced then immediately soaked in meaty food and given to fish. Anything but fresh will have no medicinal value. Use the garlic soaked food for one feeding then use Selcon or Zoecon supplement soaked in food for the 2nd meal.

Check with your store to see if it has Maracyn Two for saltwater fish (just in case it is needed).

What are your current water readings?

Thanks Beth

I just soaked some Nori and shrimp in fresh garlic. He ate all the nori but didnt eat the shrimp.

I will pick up some selcon tomorrow at the store.

I hoped you would reply.

Specific Gravity - 1.021
pH - 8.0
NO3 - 5 ppm
NO4 - 0 ppm
Temp - 76F

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Water parameters look good. Offer the other food types for meals and then the algae sheet as a "snack". A diet of just algae isn't going to cut it. Don't do major water changes as that in itself will cause stress. How are you mixing your salt water?

You can do a gal water change daily. Check on the Maracyn Two but no need to get it unless the situation worsens. You just want to be ready to use antibiotics if it becomes necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/396692/passer-juvenile-with-cloudy-eye-in-quarantine#post_3534508
Water parameters look good. Offer the other food types for meals and then the algae sheet as a "snack". A diet of just algae isn't going to cut it. Don't do major water changes as that in itself will cause stress. How are you mixing your salt water?

You can do a gal water change daily. Check on the Maracyn Two but no need to get it unless the situation worsens. You just want to be ready to use antibiotics if it becomes necessary.

I use a 30 gal trash can to mix RODI water and salt mix. I check with a refractometer.

I will continue daily 1 gallon water changes.

Thanks again for your help!

He's a beauty and I want to see this guy grow up to be healthy.

I just fed him some PE mysis and he ate them with ease. He has a huge appetite.

I am going to upload a quick video of his condition and I will post it here. I will have a before and after video posted momentarily.

Thanks again

Tanner

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm assuming that tank is an established quarantine? I'm going to say, go ahead and get the Maracyn Two for SW fish and begin treatment. The eye is bad enough to warrant this and you don't want such a nice healthy fish getting worse.

I couldn't see much on the fin.

I started Maracyn 2 yesterday. It is the FW kind but that's all my LFS had. I simply doubled the dose. I hope this is a cure. Very anxious to see his progression over the next couple of days.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to turn the lights off in the QT during treatment. You can turn them on for feeding purposes. Antibiotics are rendered less effective under UV. Leave lights on in the room so that the fish is not in darkness. Just prior to redose of M2, do a one gal water change. Do not use charcoal filters during treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/396692/passer-juvenile-with-cloudy-eye-in-quarantine#post_3534571
You will need to turn the lights off in the QT during treatment. You can turn them on for feeding purposes. Antibiotics are rendered less effective under UV. Leave lights on in the room so that the fish is not in darkness. Just prior to redose of M2, do a one gal water change. Do not use charcoal filters during treatment.

Ok will do.

Thanks again for your input.

I just wanted to give a quick update.

The angel is eating voraciously and his eye 'may' look somewhat better. Before if his cloudy eye was turned toward me and his good eye away from me, he wouldn't know I was there. But now I can tell that he can see me from his cloudy eye. He has a reflex from his cloudy eye. I can see his retina (optic lens) much better now however he has a fleshy string (skin covering the eye is stringy right in the center of eye). I am not sure if it's healing or getting worse. It's weird. It does not look like a parasite (fluke). Looks like his skin covering is pealing in a stringy thread.

I am feeding him PE Mysis, shrimp and algae sheets with freshly smeared garlic juice.

I am performing about a 2 gallon water change daily. A lot of fish poop being produced from his appetite. I am vacuuming it and doing water changes while continue to use the Maracyn2.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post an updated picture of the eye?

I would still try to introduce more variety in the fish's diet. Were you able to get Zoecon or Selcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/396692/passer-juvenile-with-cloudy-eye-in-quarantine#post_3534684
Can you post an updated picture of the eye?

I would still try to introduce more variety in the fish's diet. Were you able to get Zoecon or Selcon?
Hey Beth

I just wanted to post an update.

About three days ago, this fish looked AWFUL! He had large white spots developing right behind his pectoral fins. He also had a weird looking clear tube coming from his pop eye. He began to breath heavily and I found him laying on his side often. I knew then he was a short timer.

As Lee Corso would say.... Not so fast my friend

I performed a 50% water change, dosed 3 packets of Maracyn2 and added 6 ml of copper. Now he has no white spots. His eye looks the best I have seen it since the start of treatment and he is eating like a pig. I will post a video update shortly.

I can't believe he has rebounded so quickly from I thought was a sure death. He still has a way to go but I am doing my best to save him.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Great news! Looks like the antibiotic took hold in the nick of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/396692/passer-juvenile-with-cloudy-eye-in-quarantine#post_3534919
Great news! Looks like the antibiotic took hold in the nick of time.
Yes

Today his eye looks even better. It's looking better each and every day. Unfortunately he appears to be blind at the moment in that eye. He uses his left eye to see food.

One other little thing I have been doing and I am not sure if this is a good / bad idea, is I have been shaving fresh garlic into thin flake-like pieces and he eats them up very well. I know garlic helps the immune system just to a certain degree but I give him two to three fresh garlic shavings in the morning and afternoon along with a variety of meaty, seaweed and sponge diet.

He is definitely improving daily.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The garlic shavings should be fine. Continue with the M2 treatment for 2 more days and then lets see how things are going.