Pavestone High Desert Sand

scott9311

Does anyone know if Pavestone's "High Desert Sand" reef-safe? Seems this is the only sand HD is carrying now. It even has the same SKU# as Old Castle's (Southdown's) "Tropical Play Sand".

steveoutla

If you have a Southern States around you they sell it under the name Yardright. It says "silica free" on the package.

woodymdt

Our HD carries the pavestone high desert sand as well...doesn't say anything about silica.
HD here also carries a play sand by quik krete...but I'm assuming that would not be good to use.

wbilton

I've been reading a lot of post about south down I went to my Local HD They had it, but on the bag it said not recomended for aquarium use.

evilbob22

Originally posted by woodymdt
HD here also carries a play sand by quik krete...but I'm assuming that would not be good to use.

The Lowes near me has that too... I got a sample from a bag that was open and spilling all over the place :) ... didn't react to vinegar at all, so at least we know it isn't argonite.
Maybe I'll have to head out to Baltimore if they don't have it in the closer ones...

scott9311

Originally posted by WBilton
I've been reading a lot of post about south down I went to my Local HD They had it, but on the bag it said not recomended for aquarium use.

Yes, that IS on the bag... but it's DEFINITELY safe for SW tanks.

scott9311

Well... I received my answer on Pavestone Sand from Pavestone themselves. The following is the reply to an email I sent them today:
Scott,
Thank you for your interest in Pavestone products. To answer your question, our High Desert Sand is silica based, not aragonite. Great timing on your question, by the way. I was asked this exact question a week ago and I had to research the answer. That research has already proved its worth. Thanks again for your question.
Steve Hain
Pavestone Co.
Hagerstown, MD

evilbob22

Just for the Washington DC area people:
I got a sudden brainstorm yesterday... I was on Gude drive in Rockville and passed by Irwin Stone co. I know my brother has purchased slate from them for use in cichlid tanks, so I figured "Why not sand too?" Their website lists a product called "White sand" so I sent them an e-mail asking about the composition and size of it.

evilbob22

Reply from Irwin Stone:
Our White Sand is made from crushed marble which is calcium carbonate. The size is like sugar. I would recommend coming in and take a look and you are welcome to take a sample.
Sounds pretty good. :joy: