Paypal e-mails...

T

tizzo

OK, so I am pretty new to this whole pay-pal thing, but one thing I do know is not to trust the e-mails you get saying they are from pay-pal. So... I called customer service and asked them about several that I had and wanted to know which ones were legit. The lady told me that if it's a REAL message from pay-pal it will start with "Dear Tara Izzo" If it is fake, it will most likely say, "Dear pay pal member".
She said they ALWAYS open with your first and last name and they also do not post links in their messages. If you get a fake or one that you think is fake forward it to... spoof@paypal.com
I hope this info is as helpful to you as it is to me. :joy:

alyssia

Thanks for the info, my husband got an email, supposedly from paypal, that said someone was trying to illegally use his account. A couple of days later I got the same email.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Bronco300
careful with them...i just got swindeled out of my item and 225$ with their resolution center :mad:

I've only used them a handful of times, and not at all recently.

bronco300

well i have yet to let this die as i will not lose out on this much money without a big fight...someone will be paying this bill, and it wont be me...i was so shocked how easily the buyer won

lovethesea

And ALSO, don't let the spoofs from e-place get you either. There are emails out there from paypal and e-place that tell you your account is in danger of closing if you don't click on the link and enter your user name and password.
Just like all of your credit cards and any banking........NO ONE will E V E R ask you for personal info over the phone or email. If they are legit, they already have it.
So far paypal has been a great way to purchase things from e-place. Thats the only
way I use it.
TARA........where have you been? Probably the same place as me..............kids,kids, kids

ruaround

never click a link... always highlight copy paste...
fishing is big biz right now so always be weary of the emails about your accounts...

payton 350

DO NOT JUST COPY AND PASTE....it is the same link that you are pasteing.......type in the website ...with the correct spelling...from your own fav's or bookmarks ....remember two v's placed next to each other can easily look like a w

bang guy

This is Phishing ---> www.BestFishStore.com
The tell is easy. Just hold your cursor over the hotlink and the real URL the link will take you to will be displayed in the lower left of your Browser. If you're expecting PayPal and you see the link going to Geocities or some other site then you need to report it.

scotts

Tizzo, thanks for the info. I am always cautious but it is good to know the full name policy from Paypal.

payton 350

ruaround......many people use the different symbols and letter to create deception in a link......BESTFISHSTORE BESTFISHST0RE......can you tell the diff.......first one has an actual o ..second has the number 0......so if you are just clicking links in your email ..G00D Luck

salty cheese

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
The tell is easy. Just hold your cursor over the hotlink and the real URL the link will take you to will be displayed in the lower left of your Browser. If you're expecting PayPal and you see the link going to Geocities or some other site then you need to report it.
Actually that is spoofing

Spoofing
Phishing
Even visiting a legitimate site can pose a danger.
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...ity_theft.html
Like GI Joe said "Knowing is half the battle"

ruaround

Originally Posted by Payton 350
ruaround......many people use the different symbols and letter to create deception in a link......BESTFISHSTORE BESTFISHST0RE......can you tell the diff.......first one has an actual o ..second has the number 0......so if you are just clicking links in your email ..G00D Luck
actually i could tell the difference right off the bat... O 0 dont look alike to me... i understand what you are saying and why highlight copy paste isnt your cup of tea... and i dont just click links in my emails... i never click a link in email... if it is a familiar site and i know the URL i will highlight copy paste or type it... if it is an unfamiliar site i will google the URL instead of going right to the site...

crazyzeus1

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Nice to know! THANKS for posting this!

tangman99

One of the one getting a lot of people these days on "E you know where" world is an email that says a fraud alert has been triggered on your account and unless you follow the link to a site to confirm information, they are going turn it over to a fraud department and you will be responsible for the cost of the investigation.
E you now where fraud attempts are very easy to confirm. If you go their fraud alert section, it tells you that any email you receive from them will also be in your MyMessages section when you login. If it's not there, it is not from them.

schneidts

Originally Posted by TangMan99
E you now where fraud attempts are very easy to confirm. If you go their fraud alert section, it tells you that any email you receive from them will also be in your MyMessages section when you login. If it's not there, it is not from them.
That's excellent info! I always delete emails from Eday w/out opening them, then I just go to My Messages and check there (I'll admit I only started this habit because I couldn't open them from my inbox
)

whimzy

Originally Posted by crazyzeus1
Nice to know! THANKS for posting this!
How is your yellow 'vett doing?