PB VS Yellow Tang

nybyrne

I added a Yellow tang to my 125 reef today and my PB seems to be attacking it. Do you guys think this will stop or is it going to be a fight to the death?
Thanks

t316

I think it will stop. These are two different tangs. The PB is just doing his initial territory claim announcement. They will probably slap tails for a day or two. Just watch them so that it doesn't go too far. I suspect that the Yellow is smaller, yes? Otherwise, the yellows tend to be more aggressive than PB's, but each fish is different.

V

vinnyraptor

i actually have a PB and a yellow in a 95 gal. the yellow was there first and picked on the PB for a day or two. are they similar in size? hope so. shutting down the lights and feeding may help. assuming its impossible to move things around or catch the PB, keeping them in the dark and well fed as much as possible may be the only way to keep the peace. offer lots of seaweed and algae on clips. letting them both know they dont have to fight for food and a safe hiding place/cave will make the transition much quicker.
Originally Posted by nybyrne
http:///forum/post/2769036
I added a Yellow tang to my 125 reef today and my PB seems to be attacking it. Do you guys think this will stop or is it going to be a fight to the death?
Thanks

kjr_trig

Beware....Acanthurus Genus Tangs can be very brutal to new additions, I had an Achilles (one of the closest related to a PB) for several years, I tried a Yellow Tang with him and he did kill it over about a weeks time. The only Tang he accepted was a Naso. Future reference in most cases if you are going to have an Acanthurus Tang, make him the last Tang in.
To the person that said Yellow are typically more aggressive than Powder Blues....Sorry but that is not correct in most cases. Powder Blues are also faster and more agile than Yellows (or similar).

V

vinnyraptor

my PB is a powder brown
Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2769113
Beware....Acanthurus Genus Tangs can be very brutal to new additions, I had an Achilles (one of the closest related to a PB) for several years, I tried a Yellow Tang with him and he did kill it over about a weeks time. The only Tang he accepted was a Naso. Future reference in most cases if you are going to have an Acanthurus Tang, make him the last Tang in.
To the person that said Yellow are typically more aggressive than Powder Blues....Sorry but that is not correct in most cases. Powder Blues are also faster and more agile than Yellows (or similar).

t316

It was I, and I believe that the statement is correct, but I ended it saying that each fish is different. I base the statement off of the fact that there are probably 10 posts to every 1 where there is aggression from a yellow towards other tangs. PB's (and I am referring to blue) are typically some of the most timid tangs out there. Of course I have read of a few cases on here where the poster's PB was an absolute menace as well. My PB is the largest in the tank, by several inches, but is the least aggressive. My yellow is the smallest tang in the tank, and by far the most aggressive, although my naso is catching up to him in that category.

R

rcreations

Interesting... my powder blue is best friends with a naso. They've never fought since day one and the powder blue was the first introduced in the tank and bigger. I wonder why they accept nasos more than other tangs.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2769237
It was I, and I believe that the statement is correct, but I ended it saying that each fish is different. I base the statement off of the fact that there are probably 10 posts to every 1 where there is aggression from a yellow towards other tangs. PB's (and I am referring to blue) are typically some of the most timid tangs out there. Of course I have read of a few cases on here where the poster's PB was an absolute menace as well. My PB is the largest in the tank, by several inches, but is the least aggressive. My yellow is the smallest tang in the tank, and by far the most aggressive, although my naso is catching up to him in that category.
Read up on Tangs on Wetwebmedia, I certainly agree with your statement that all fish are different.....However as they say on WWM, most Acanthurus Tangs do not do well with other Tangs.
1 quote there from Bob Fenner
"For most hobby-size systems keeping one Acanthurus tang to a tank is the best bet. Additionally, by design on your part this fish be designated as the dominant animal in the system. Except for the species listed as being relatively docile, other Acanthurus Tangs should be held in constant suspicion, and watched carefully if any new additions are to be attempted."

t316

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2769311
Interesting... my powder blue is best friends with a naso. They've never fought since day one and the powder blue was the first introduced in the tank and bigger. I wonder why they accept nasos more than other tangs.
Because naso's are similar in nature to the PB (maybe a little more aggressive). It's the yellow that's usually not very accepting. But these statistics are probably stacked against the yellow because more hobbyist have them. Not nearly as many of us have PB's and Naso's.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2769330
Because naso's are similar in nature to the PB (maybe a little more aggressive). It's the yellow that's usually not very accepting. But these statistics are probably stacked against the yellow because more hobbyist have them. Not nearly as many of us have PB's and Naso's.
You are really off base on this man, If you truly believe a Naso Tang is typically more Aggressive than a Powder Blue, you really need to read up on this.....Just start a thread over on -- in the "Reef Fish" forum and tell people you have a 400 gallon Tank and you want to know if you could put an Achilles and Powder Blue together. You will find out very quickly how agressive people think these 2 fish are.

R

rcreations

My naso is the most docile fish in my tank. Right now I'd say the Powder Blue is the most agressive but not to the point that it attacks any other fish. Once in a while it'll chase another fish away, that's about as bad as it gets. But Peanut (the powder blue) is the boss of the tank for sure.

fau8

The size of the tang is really the most important factor. Once a yellow or PB tang reaches 3-4 inches its going to want to be the most dominant fish in the tank. I tried adding a PB with my 3" yellow and it did not go well. (The PB was the same size) I removed the yellow. I added a bicolor angel the next day and the PB already established himself and showed his colors to the new addition for the better part of an hour to get his point accross. I have seen the yellow do the same.
I am surprised no one has yet to comment that a 125 is the minimum recommended size for any tang. Putting in two would not be recommended.
The PB is one of my favorite fish but they are ick magnets and as such hard to keep healthy if you don't stay on top of your water quality.

t316

http:///forum/post/2769347
You are really off base on this man, If you truly believe a Naso Tang is typically more Aggressive than a Powder Blue, you really need to read up on this.....Just start a thread over on -- in the "Reef Fish" forum and tell people you have a 400 gallon Tank and you want to know if you could put an Achilles and Powder Blue together. You will find out very quickly how agressive people think these 2 fish are.
"Aggressive" was an aggressive word for it. Maybe "more active", but my belief is the same that the PB is one of the most docile fish out there. Here is a quote from SWF's description...."These fish are very fragile and do not like to be abused by other fish." And I don't think they are referring to being retaliators, and that surely doesn't sound like they are aggressors. Just because you had an Achilles once, and it was aggressive, does not mean that all PB's are unaccepting to other Tangs. As far as the Naso, here is another quote from SWF's description..."is a.... peaceful,..... Tang. The Naso Tang is certainly one of the most popular tangs, due to its hardiness and easy personality. These fish are peaceful towards other species....". There are a million websites that you could come back with, but I will stay with SWF as to not bring in outside competitors. But I will reiterate, that each fish has his own personality, is different, and size of tank & conditions play a factor. I won't be starting a poll thread btw.