PC bulb problem...

brettmc

I haven't gotten my tank set up yet, but I was testing out my lights and one of my 24w PC bulbs got extremely hot, it even melted the zip tie that was kind of clipping it to the plug in. My question is do you suppose that it is just the bulb or could there be something wrong with like something in the rest of the system? Oh yea this is only the 2nd time i've turned them on.

brettmc

also, the bulb quickly burned out. So now i'm looking to replace it, or if anyone thinks that I need to look into the problem deeper

gsd

What brand is it.......Sounds like a typical Jebo Odysea brand light. PC bulbs get hot,, and uyes its possible they get hot enough to melt a ziptie, but I can not see it getting that hot to melt a zip tie unless zip tie was around the bulb itself.
Ar eyu sure its the bulb and not the ballast or something else like the plug, switch, cord, bad connetcion in pulb sockets?
I would be looking to the manufacturer myself, or at least a refund from whoever I purchased it from......

brettmc

ha ha, damn you're good it is an odyssea, and yes I know about their poor reputation unfortunately after I bought the system. The thing that makes me think its the bulb is because the daylight and actinic are two seperate bulbs on this system but they both run on the same ballast, and the actinic still runs fine. I was just wondering if anyone had the same experience and if this was a common problem. Meanwhile i'm just going to order new bulbs and hope that it doesn't screw up again. Thanks for all of your help.