PC JBJ Lighting, dual 36 watts (replacement time?)

socalnano24

I read up on this before posting and I think that what everyone else has experienced has started to happen in my tank.
My back wall used to be COVERED in corraline, which has now slowly made way for a type of hair algae over a more bleached corraline.
My GBTA anemone used to be complacent all the way at the bottom of the tank(for like 4 months), but now prefers being as high up as he can go.
Otherwise the height of corraline left on the back wall has risen higher (I've also heard this happens as lights age?)
So I'm guessing its time to change em. Its only been 7 months, is this what other PC lightng people have experienced in terms of timing on the bulbs?
(BTW since somebody will ask, I checked my levels last week and my nitrite nitrate and ammonia are non perceivable), pH is 8.2, SG is stable at 1.025, and last time I checked my calcium was at 430, and I've dosed a few tsp of Purple Tech since to correct that.

nycbob

most stocked bulbs should be replaced 6-8 months after initial setup. power compact should be changed every 9-12 months if keeping corals and inverts. i change mine t5 every 12 months regardless. normally when u see things deteriorate, it could be too late, so why take a chance. as for ur hair algae, it could be too much nutrients and nitrate in ur system. cant answer that for sure unless u post more info, maybe a pic?

socalnano24

Dunno what other info there is to post on terms of testing parameters......I'm going to assume it's the bulbs and just scrape the algae off the back wall when I replce em

nycbob

i hv gotten good response from fellow friends with the use of chemipure elite. a friend of mine was having major diatom and algae issue, and i advised him to use it, and he is seeing dramatic effect. r u using ro water by chance?

socalnano24

Ro/di water chemipure elite, Phosban and a chaeto fuge on alt light scedule. My chemipure is from June though. Maybe I'll replace that. Thanks for response

socalnano24

yah, I got a new chemipure elite, replaced the phosban (both were from sometime in June or July).
Funny how you can keep up on the weekly water changes and forget the filter medium.
Then I cleaned off all the hair algae and I'm going to replace the filter fabric after it removes the particulates from the hair algae left in the water column.
I also bought two new lights, however i'm goin to wait a week now that I've changed filter media and see if the hair algae persists before switching out the lighting, since its only been since April 17th with these bulbs. So we'll see what happens.