PC lighting options

technik

I just built a new DIY hood for my tank. I have room for 3 55W pc's and would like to know what combo of lights would be the best. Should I keep it 50%/50% actinic and 10k with 3 55W 50/50's or would some other combo be better? ie: 2 10k, 1 actinic, or 2 actinic and 1 10K.

niger12

Most people and I prefer a 50/50 (Actinic, 10K) combination. How ever you want to work that out is up to you. I would recomend reserching and getting true actinic 03 PC bulbs. A lot of the stuff on the market is just 7100k blue. Also it is your tank so get a light combination that pleases your eye. You have to stare at it.

nm reef

I use 4x65 10K's with vho actinics...I've never liked the 50/50's much and I've never used a true actinic PC...but I hear they are decent. If it was me and I had to decide I'd use a pair of 10k's and a true actinic.

technik

I have been running 2 55W 50/50 PCs in it for a year, but the corals in my other tank with VHO's seem to look happier. I just redid the setup to hold 3 55w PCs for more lighting and am not sure if more actinic or 10k would benefit it.

niger12

What corals are in the tank? You said your VHO tank the corals do better. Do you have the same corals in both tanks? How much VHO lighting do you have.

technik

I have pretty much the same corals in both tanks, hammers, mushrooms, candycane, and brains. I have 2 48" 110w in my 55 gallon.

niger12

Adding 1 more PC may help. I have read that PC do not have the penetrating power VHO. I have a T5 and PC and have run them seperately and together. I have a few corals like a Hammer for one that did better under less watts of T5. I have since added two of my four 55w PC to the 4 34w T5 and things are doing well.

technik

I rescued a dieing SPS from my LFS with 2 36W 50/50 PCs directly on top of it. The extra pc should help alot in the tank.