pc lighting

ibew

I have 260 watts of pc 2 10,000 and 2 actinics can I put any kind of soft and LPS in there or just certain kinds right now I have zoos, plopys, leather, mushrooms was thinking of getting some brain or some hammer. my tank is a 55gal long

oceanblue1

Originally Posted by Ibew
I have 260 watts of pc 2 10,000 and 2 actinics can I put any kind of soft and LPS in there or just certain kinds right now I have zoos, plopys, leather, mushrooms was thinking of getting some brain or some hammer. my tank is a 55gal long

Thats 260 watts of 10,000K and 2 actinics at what watt, if there 2, 55, to 65, watt actinics thats perfact for brain corel so on thats good anuff for just about any thing... The 2, actinics need to be at least 2, 30 watt toteling 60 watts together I would have 2, 55, to 65, watt actinics toteling 110, to 130 watts of actinic this being the coler temp that Corel use for (photosinthasis) so on ...
:happyfish :happyfish

murph

I assume you mean a 48 inch fixture, 260 watt PC total in which case you should be fine for most softies and LPS. Just use some common sense placement with the more light demanding specimens up toward the top.
Most manufactures save a few bucks on bulbs when they make the fixtures so when the time comes to change them out you can get a better quality bulb and I would also suggest instead of two actinics, that you get half and halfs (half actinnic half daylight) for the replacement of the two back bulbs. This will brighten up the the tank that much more. I would say four to six months mx for the stock bulbs and a good replacement is the sunpaqs that are noticeably brighter, at least to the human eye.
Timers would be a good idea also. Allow the natural ambient light of the room to come in and out with the light fixture on in between. Eight hours is plenty.

ibew

yes they are 2 65 watt actnics in the back and yes it is 48 long its a corallife fixture. Whats the reason besides add more light to the tank to add 50/50 in the back to replace the actnics shouldn't I have that much for coral growth or is that too much wattage for coral growth and am I wasting some were I need it

blb9

I have had no experience with a brain, but the hammer sounds good, as long as you don't give it too much flow.