pc lights ok?

deejeff442

i need new lights for my 225 gallon .
i found a system with 3 mh bulbs 250 watt and has 4 pc lights i know t5's are better but with the mh bulbs is this ok with the pc bulbs?

morval

The PC's are just suplemental lighting to the MH. you can put actinic in them and should be able to have them come on b4 the MH and shut off after them

scsinet

The PC lamps are your supplemental actinic. They would be fine in that capacity.
However, be sure to factor in the operational costs. I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else on here who talks about PC fixtures... the cost to buy them may be a bit less, but the cost to maintain them is insane. PC lamps need to be changed every 6 months or so, at about $25/each. So that's $200 a year in lamps.
An equivalent system using (2-4) T5 lamps in place of the PC lamps needs to have it's lamps replaced every 2 years or so at $25/each. So that's $50-$100 every 2 years, or 1/4 to 1/8 the operational cost.

deejeff442

thanks point taken.
i have a 30 inch deep tank so it needs the mh ,i will look for a mh with t5 lights .see what i can find.
what kelvin do you prefer on a reef?
dont want it too blue i was thinking 14000

jackri

+1 on SCSInet
Spending a bit more up front on tank expenses can really save you in the long run.

scsinet

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/2932591
thanks point taken.
i have a 30 inch deep tank so it needs the mh ,i will look for a mh with t5 lights .see what i can find.
what kelvin do you prefer on a reef?
dont want it too blue i was thinking 14000
14K is a great one to use when you are not using supplemental fluorescent.
With Actinic PC or T5, a 14K may look blueish. I used 14K with super actinic T5 and it looked pretty nice though.
Lots of folks will use a lower Kelvin rated halide when they are using actinics. 10K is common, but IMO wayyyy too yellow. I'd shoot for a 12K lamp myself. Reeflux markets one for around 70 bucks.
If you go 14K, I'd look at the Ushio. Hamilton lamps have turned me completely off, I'd stay away.

renogaw

btw, the only place i used to find pc's for the $25 was online at sites unmentionable, and they were generics. LFS sell the corallife pc bulbs around here for upwards of $50 each.

deejeff442

found a couple fixtures .is about 900-1000 dollars sound right?
can almst buy a work truck for that.
glad busy season is coming soon at work gunna need it.

florida joe

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2932646
btw, the only place i used to find pc's for the $25 was online at sites unmentionable, and they were generics. LFS sell the corallife pc bulbs around here for upwards of $50 each.
You are looking in the wrong place my friend you can get Coralife Compact Fluorescent Straight Pin Bulbs for under $25 on line

deejeff442

i found a 36" light with two 250 watt mh bulbs that have moonlights .
i could get two units to fit mt 220 gallon.
thats 1000 watts total is that too much ?
my tank is 30 inches deep so i figured it would work.
dont think i need the supplemental lighting with moon lights.

scsinet

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/2933968
i found a 36" light with two 250 watt mh bulbs that have moonlights .
i could get two units to fit mt 220 gallon.
thats 1000 watts total is that too much ?
my tank is 30 inches deep so i figured it would work.
dont think i need the supplemental lighting with moon lights.
As a point of clarification, you do not need supplemental lighting at all. It's more for your eyes than for the health of the livestock.
This setup will be fine. You'll be able to keep whatever you want.