PC Lights & Timers

barelycuda

I have a 55g tank that I have just purchased a 4x65 PC Coralife Retrofit kit to install in a DIY canopy. Currently there are 2-10,000k lamps & 2-actinic lamps on seperate switches & timers.The tank is currently a FOWLR but I would like to add some easy to care for corals and maybe an anemome? I have a reefkeeper wet/dry filter and protein skimmer as well as a UV sterilizer.
My question is what is the best time to run the lights? I currently have the actinics coming on around 5:30 am & the 10,00k coming on -6:30 so that I can feed the fish before I leave for work. The 10,000k turn off - 8:30pm with the actinics turning off -11:00pm.
I am looking to install 4-5 moonlights within the next week. Should I leave the actinics on 24/7 until I install the moonlights or turn them off for a little while each day? Any help is muchly appreciated as I have learned more from this site in the last month than I have learned in the last 10 years.
Thanks,

rappa

That is 16 hours of light... Might be a little much. You may see alot of algea growth.
I run mine with the PC's turning on at 10:30 AM and Halides turn on at 11:30 AM. The PC's go off at 10:30 PM and Halides off at 11:30 PM. The light coming through the windows in the morning is enough to wake the corals up slowly. I also feed my tank at 9:00 PM when everything is out fully and hungry. Seems to be working ok for me, but I am no ways near expert status... Hope that helps.

barelycuda

Thanks Rappa,
I adjusted the time back a little. Other than algae growth is there a concern for the lights being on for that amount of time? Since I leave for work before 7:00 am & don't get home until 6:00 pm I like to look at my fish a little in the evening. :happyfish I currently feed the fish in the morning, should I change my feeding schedule to feed them in the evening and turn the lights on later in the morning to reduce the daylight hours. With 130w of actinic lights in the morning I can still see the fish fine.
Thanks,
Cuda

daj0424

I trun my PC lights for my 55g on at 12pm and off at 10pm. I dont have corals yet but 10 hours of lighting is plently for me. Then I feed my fish when I get home at 5:30pm. This way I have time to monitor what is going on and so forth.
My LFS told me a long time ago that 10 hours of lighting is ideal and I guess it just has stuck with me. I do think that 16 hours is too much. Make it as natural as possible, do your research and see how long the sun is out where your fish and corals are from. That way you will know what they have grown up with and you are able to provide it. Just a thought.

crazyaqua

I have my acts turning on at 10AM then the Daylight lights hit 11AM and they both run all day then at 7 PM the daylight lights turn off and then at 8 PM the Act lights turn off then the moon lights kick on at 8 PM till 10 AM. So far so good and i have a florida condi and a rock flower and some grape coral and brain which are doing well with this new lighting

fishy7

Acts from 1:00pm -9:00PM
Halides 2:00pm-8:00pm
Moon 8:00PM to 11:00AM
No corals but will be adding next month and the lighting will have to change.

rappa

I don't need to see my tank in the AM as I am usually in a rush to get to work anyways so I just have the lights go on later and shut off later so I can enjoy them at night. I don't get home from work until 9:00 PM so that is when everything gets fed and the lights stay on until 11:30PM so I can enjoy the tank while I sit on the couch and relax. If I stay up late, I still get to enjoy the tank with the moonlights. It's like a nightlite too. Love them...

barelycuda

Thanks everyone for your input. I feel like I have been misguided by so many people for so long that I feel lost. It very nice to find a forum and group of people that is dedicated to this hobby and helping newbies. I feel like I'm starting all over again but with the right answers & much more excitement this time !!!
Way more to learn & read tonight. Can't seem to get enough right now. Kind of like Christmas morning all over again.