PC Question Advanced

litlepig11

Hi, I have computer very few programs installed, only 30gig harddisk, Windows XP. Problem is I installed a webcam and its software on the computer to record to the harddisk, for this the program asked how much of the harddisk I wanted to set aside for the program to use. I set 24gig or something like that. The webcam program begin to cause HUGE problems with the computer and I uninstalled. Problem is I have no disk space now because it is all allotted to this program I dont have anymore. How do I un-allotted this space w/out reinstalling the program (not an option). Thanks

dragonzim

What program was it that you installed? Did it ask you if you wanted to repartition the drive or anything, because that almost what it sounds like it did. I can't think of any other reason why that space that it allocated wouldnt become available again after removing the program.
Most likely the problem started because you allocated too much space in the first place.

jackri

ummmmm fdisk and reload windows (just be sure to save what you want off the harddrive first before you wipe it).

litlepig11

Reformatting the disk is not an option for me. I have a program I run for work that we buy a liscence to use each year and we do not have the rights in install it ourselfs...they charge a travel fee to come out and install it...plus I would lose info off the program that I HAVE to have till school year ends. The drive does not show any partions. The program to run the webcam and recored to harddisk only asked how much space I wanted to allotte the program for recording. Any other ideas?

dragonzim

Originally Posted by litlepig11
http:///forum/post/3007025
Reformatting the disk is not an option for me. I have a program I run for work that we buy a liscence to use each year and we do not have the rights in install it ourselfs...they charge a travel fee to come out and install it...plus I would lose info off the program that I HAVE to have till school year ends. The drive does not show any partions. The program to run the webcam and recored to harddisk only asked how much space I wanted to allotte the program for recording. Any other ideas?

What kind of webcam (brand and model) is it and what is the software that it installed called? Cant help much without that info....

lexluethar

Use a program called GParted to repartition the drive. You can download it for free, then burn it as an .ISO file for free using infra recorder (also a free product). It is a program that will allow you to resize your parititions on the hard drive without destroying the data on the drive (OS or files).
Before doing that I personally would backup all of your files just incase the reallocation of the partitions messes with your windows install. Just backup by using windows backup utility, copy and pasting the information to another drive, or if you cannot even get into the system (which i think you can) you can use a LinuxLive CD (also free) and boot the system using that CD.

jackri

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/3007056
Use a program called GParted to repartition the drive. You can download it for free, then burn it as an .ISO file for free using infra recorder (also a free product). It is a program that will allow you to resize your parititions on the hard drive without destroying the data on the drive (OS or files).
Before doing that I personally would backup all of your files just incase the reallocation of the partitions messes with your windows install. Just backup by using windows backup utility, copy and pasting the information to another drive, or if you cannot even get into the system (which i think you can) you can use a LinuxLive CD (also free) and boot the system using that CD.
+1
The linux CD will do it or partition magic ... according to the computer nerd sitting next to me.

lexluethar

Linux CD will not allow you to partition, it has a 'self partitioner' that will allow it to separate partitions in order to install linux, but it won't allow you just to mess with the partitions w/o having to install anything. I was just suggesting the Linux CD incase the system isn't bootable.
Partition magic would definately do the trick as well. Either way these packages need to be burned as an ISO file using a burner program (i like infra recorder). Once burned you need to restart the computer w/ the CD in the drive and boot to that CD (may have to change boot order to accomplish this).

litlepig11

it was a "gear head llc quick webcam advanced" the software was just what was included w/the webcam... my windows system is bootable, i just have no space on the harddisk because i alloted all to this program i have dont have anymore. i can boot and run everthing i just am running out of hd space...i have less then half a gig. makes downloading stuff to my work pc a pain...lol

bionicarm

Most webcams create a 'virtual disk' on your hard drive to store the image information. It's actually just a hugh file sitting on your drive. I've never heard of any webcam software that re-partitions a hard drive. Open up explorer and do a search for files based on size. I have a sneaking suspicion you have this 24 gig file sitting somewhere on your drive. Most likely in the Program Files directory where the app was loaded. You can delete the file without worrying about corrupting anything else on your box.
Another way to check if you have another partition is to right-click on your MY Computer icon, and select Manage. Down towards the bottom of the program that comes up is a option called Disk Management. Open that up, and you'll see the partitions that are on your drive.

litlepig11

i do NOT have another partion...i dont know where that came from...i've looked like you said for files based on size i cant find anything...I guess my only option is to buy another one of those webcams reinstall the software and change the alloted disk space...i was just hopeing for a way to do it w/out reinstalling the software....

dragonzim

I just took a look at the manufacturers website and man is it shoddy. They dont even offer any FAQ's or anything to assist in the removal of their products. No offense, but I guess that isnt too surprising from a company that sells a $15 webcam.

shogun323

Have you tried calling the webcams support? Or searching the web for fixes?
Here is the Customer Care # (866) 890-7115

shogun323

In addition to uninstalling the webcam drivers, you did uninstall the AMCAP software, correct?
Also, since you started having issues immediately, do you not have the software still? If so, and assuming you have uninstalled it, trying reinstalling it using minimal allocation sizes to store the data.

stdreb27

Run a reg seeker program search for the name of the software, and start deleting, and hopefully you'll get the code that is causing it.
If that doesn't make sense I'll post actual instructions later.

bionicarm

Looking at the manual, it looks like it saves all the info from the camera in .avi files. Also, based on what I read, that 24 gig setting you made just sets the maximum size one of the capture files can grow to. You probably have multiple .avi files for each time you did some capture on the webcam. Search your hard drive for ANY files that end with the .avi extension ( *.avi). If you're not sure whether they are movie files that you want to keep, just double-click them and the movie will open up with either Quicktime or Windows Media Player. Just delete any .avi file you don't want. If you want to see how much space the .avi files are taking up on your drive, highlight all the .avi files, right-click and select "Properties". It'll show you the total disk space the selected files are taking up.