PCs for clams with short tank?

mossad327

I've been researching keeping clams on here, and the consensus is that if you don't have a "tall" tank, there is NO way to successfully keep a clam. But what constitutes a tall tank? I have 195 watts with a 40 gallon breeder tank. That's 14 inches.
Is this an acceptably "short" tank for keeping clams under PCs or would this constitute their demise?
I don't want to get flamed, just a simple "its ok" or "no way" is all I need.
Thanks

shep

I have only known one person to make clam/pc work so far. I think that the pristine tank conditions was major part of it. Other than that I have yet to see any of the "high light"/"pretty "clams make it long. Suggest you go MH if you want to keep clams.

justinx

I dont advise keeping any clams under PC. It can be done, but you need to remember that lighting is only about 50% of the equation. Water quality and maintenance plays a major role in the health of a clam as well.
HTH
Justin

nm reef

It can be done...successfully. But there are other considerations...for one you'd be limited to T squamosa or T derasa....and all other conditions/requirements need to be met.
I've got a healthy/growing T squamosa in my 55 with 4x65 10k PC's & 2x110 actinic VHO's....it has doubled in size in the past 6 months.
If care is taken in selection and if all requirements are addressed...it can be done.But selection is rather limited.:cool:

bigmac

Clams do best under INTENSE lighting.........it really doesn't matter if the tank is 6" deep or 60" deep.