PD's New Frag Tank

subielover

Ahhh, the 40 breeder. I love that size tank, now will this be your beefed up frag tank, or a new display? I am thinking frag since it is in a closet?

perfectdark

Thanks guys.... yep frag tank only.
Heavily filtered, D&D typhoon skimmer is rated for up to 125gal tank. Aqua Clear 70 HOB filter, and CPR HOB Refugium.
I just ordered 2-Koralia #3 Powerheads and another 100w heater and the Nova Extreme Pro series HO-T5 lights. 6X39watts... I am taking out one actinic for now and replacing it with a 10K daylight. So to start there will be 4daylights and only 2 actinic... I will prob take out all actinics and run just daylights in there because this is a grow not a show tank.

perfectdark

Ok well I have updates... Everything I used for media in this tank was cycled even 1/2 of the water volume. So within a week this tank was completely cycled and even had pods swimming around in it.
Last night I came home to my delivery...Nova Extreme Pro light fixture 36" 6 bulbs. Total about 234 watts. 2 #3 Koralia Power Heads...

My supply area (for now)... The buckets are a temporary thing as well.

I am planning on a 10gal sump/fuge under the 40... I have most everything I need for it except the PVC pipe. However until that little project is finished my HOB fuge is doing a nice job... Its lit with a retrofitted 36watt PC bulb that I stripped out of my biocube hood. front and side views

perfectdark

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2929511
WOW! Nice. What kind of room is that?
You know Henry I was hoping to avoid that question... but seeing as though you asked....

Yea its a bathroom...LOL. Its a finished basement... When you walk into the bathroom the door swings in and to the right. I put a door stop to prevent it swinging past 90* the tank is on the other side of the door. So, yea I was sitting on the toilet when I took some of those pics... he he he. It was originally built for added closet space...Turns out we didnt need that space all that much so this seemed to be a good alternative use for it. On the other side of the wall that the tank is on is my laundry room so my RO/DI unit will be perfectly at home over there and a small hose to my water mix bin is all that will be seen.

adee

it looks awesome!!! really, really professional and who cares if its in a bathroom that is AWESOME! i would love to have something to look at lol...
pretty bad coming from a girl eh?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by ADEE
http:///forum/post/2929697
it looks awesome!!! really, really professional and who cares if its in a bathroom that is AWESOME! i would love to have something to look at lol...
pretty bad coming from a girl eh?
Nah not bad... bit odd, and def funny... Thanks for the comments.

perfectdark

Ok so here we are 3 weeks later the tank has been set up for almost 5 weeks. It has stretched its legs, my algae bloom is just about gone. The funky algae smell is gone, 3 water changes have been done and the small frags that were in there are doing well.
I had micro bubble issues with my skimmer as most HOB skimmers do. But I remedied it with a sort of home made plenum box. All this equip will eventually be on the 30gal sump that will be under this tank but for now everything is HOB. I made a plenum box from a small fish breeder box. And I stuffed filter floss in around the perimeter so the return from the skimmer is in side it all. Now the micro bubbles either have to go up or get trapped inside the floss. They accumulate and form big bubbles which just release and rise to the surface. It works perfectly, I cut down 98% of my bubbles.
Heres what it looks like... you can see the bubbles getting trapped in there.

Heres a diagram of where the return nozzel sits inside the box

redsea

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2909375
Hey guys,
I have had my 10 gal tank set up and running for over a year now. But, I didnt really have a need for it so it just sat there. I decided to turn it into a frag tank, total out of pocket cost... $15.00.
I tore apart my bio cube hood and retrofitted the lights into 2 std 10 gal light hoods. I took the reflector out, cut it and bent it to make a parabolic contour for each bulb, (better than nothing). An Aqua Clear 70 filter, 50W stealth heater, MJ 900 PH, egg crate and PVC pipe.
Its in the frag test phase right now and will be for a couple of weeks. If everything looks good I will transfer all my over stocked frags to here. Lighting is 2, 36 watt PC 50/50's for now. Frags are approx 5" below the lights, 72 watts total... pleanty for zoas and lps.
Pics...

it is looking great!