Peak Oil?

sbsb

Originally posted by Brownleaf
live large, die young
j/k.

And then as you're on laying on you're death bed at the age of 35 with a bad liver and all beaten up and bruised and out of you're mind from the countless other ailments, they tell you that the oil problem wasn't really a problem after all and it's going to be a bright sunshiny day for at least the next 1000 years. Boy that would be a real bummer.:scared::cheer: :sleepy: :nervous:

sbsb

Originally posted by tony detroit
The end is VERY near...
It is also unescapable

I've been hearing that since 1975.

L

lockemup

The Myans were right. Civilization will end in July of 2016 which is when their calendar stopped... BTW, they created their calendar in 400bc i believe...

aarone

could it be that the mayans just died out before their calendar was completed? Im sure the whole world wont die out in just 12 years..

sbsb

Originally posted by aarone
could it be that the mayans just died out before their calendar was completed? Im sure the whole world wont die out in just 12 years..

No it means we won’t have any calendars!:D It will be mass chaos, missed appointments, nobody will know what day it is,
OH, The Horror of it!!!! :scared:

Originally posted by ReefNut
Why?

1. Gas Hydrates are not suited for existing jet aircraft, ships, vehicles, and equipment for agriculture and other products. (Currently 800 million vehicles)
2. Conversion consumes large amounts of energy as well as money.
3. Gas Hydrates also do not provide the huge array of chemical by-products that we depend on oil for.
4. It cannot be adapted to produce pesticides, fertilizer, or plastics.
Check out Page 2.

D

daniel411

While the author of that went to alot of effort to pack references, etc., etc.
He completely failed to research alternative technoligies, resources, etc. adequately. Its not a single one, but a combination of them, which are capable of filling most of those roles.
Don't take that stuff seriously, while it may have some truth, his lack of serious investigation discredits much of the work.

Originally posted by Daniel411
While the author of that went to alot of effort to pack references, etc., etc.
He completely failed to research alternative technoligies, resources, etc. adequately. Its not a single one, but a combination of them, which are capable of filling most of those roles.
Don't take that stuff seriously, while it may have some truth, his lack of serious investigation discredits much of the work.

He accepts the Hubbert Curve as dogma, and I have read a great deal indicating that it is not. However, even with throwing the Hubbert Curve out the window, oil could still peak. Our dependency on oil is tremendous. When you factor in the rate of industrialization of this world on top of the rate of population growth, there is significant support that demand for oil will far outstrip supply. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday we will not have enough and/or not be able to pull it out of the ground fast enough, prices will go through the roof, and things will get ugly.
To read about the fallacy of the Hubbert Curve click here.
(Note: Link above is a *.pdf file, you will need Adobe Acrobat to read it.)

D

daniel411

Originally posted by Bonermeister
Daniel, did you read all five pages? I thought he had a strong arguement against alternative technologies and fuels.

I skimmed over it. I'm not doubting the curve that mixes production-supply-cost, thats a basic economic principle. Its also an outline for a non or slow replenishing resource.
His rebuttal against alt. technologies and fuels was that no particular one could be a substitute for all things that oil can do. Which is correct. However, just because one is not a substitute for all, does not rule them out. Through a combination of them, we have alternatives.
Many of the alternatives may be in the beginning of their development. Thats primarily due to a lack of immediate need, which would bring higher funding. Their are currently affordable processes to greatly extend the lifespan of oil. As well as blended synthetic techniques which decrease the amount of oil needed. They are not wide spread due to one reason. Lack of consumer demand. Currently the low cost of oil blocks alot of these technologies from widespread usage.
-sorry... just don't have time to go in it to indepth.