Pearl Scale Butterfly Fish

mjmpinsky

Any info as to the biology/care of a pearl scale butterfly fish?
My LFS has a really nice one for sale at $29. It has been there for 2 weeks. I know that some butterflies require special food requirement to stay alive. Any thought on this fish?
65gal w/ 3 damsels, 2 gobies, 1 clarkii w/host anemone, 2 wrasses.

T

tuningvis

from another site:
Common Name: Butterflyfish - Pearlscale
Other Common Name(s): Pearlscale Butterfly
Scientific Name: Chaetodon xanthurus (Full Taxonomy)
Group: Butterfly
Origin or Range: Indo-Pacific
Relative Size: Average
(as compared to other saltwater fish)
Average Lifespan: ??? year(s)
Behavior & Compatibility: Non-Aggressive
(as compared to other saltwater fish)
Animal Category: Fish » Saltwater Fish
Animal Description:
The Pearl Scale Butterfly Fish is a hardy and attractive addition to any community fish aquarium.
The Pearl Scale Butterfly gets its name from the distinctive pearly iridescence of its scales. The majority of the Pearl Scale Butterfly's body is a silvery color and the tail area can be red, orange, or even black. The color the tail area gives an indication of the origin of the fish. For instance an orange tail indicates Indo Pacific and a red tail indicates Indian Ocean or Red Sea.
The Pearl Scale Butterfly will feed on most foods offered to it including flake food, but it especially prefers mussels and clams. This butterfly is a medium-size butterfly and is easy care for in captivity. It is a recommended addition to a community aquarium. The Pearl Scale Butterfly is not considered to be reef safe since it may feed on some corals. As is true of most butterflies the Pearl Scale Butterfly is not aggressive and will not bother other inhabitants of the aquarium.
Specific Care Information: Relative Care Ease: Relatively Easy
Breeding and Propagation: Relative Breeding Ease:

ryan

Ive tried two of them both before my tank was 6 months old. They didnt last. I think they are one of the most attractive fish. They can be difficult to feed at first. Its best to get fresh seafood from the grocery store and feeding it to them. Most fish stores try to keep them alive with live brine which you can also try if it wont eat, but you would need to keep trying other foods to keep it healthy. It would be fine in the tank that you have, and would get along with you other fish. I think they need a more established tank. I believe thats why mine didnt make it. I would love to try again, but not enough room in my tank now.