people in CA

socalracer

im going to have my 2 yr old daughter near san diego and wanted to take her to an aquarium what would you guys suggest the scripps aquarium at UCSD or sea world........im just worried sea world might be to many rides and not enough exhibits and im worried scripps might be really small.....i've been to aquarium of the specific how do these compare to it? thanks

grips

I haven't been to Sea World in San Diego, but I have been to the Birch Aquarium at Scripps. It's a nice aquarium although it's not very big. It is heavily geared toward children and I think a 2 year old would have a blast there. I know my 6 year old did.

sigmachris

Sea World doesn't have a lot of rides. They have the Orca (Shamu) shows, dolphin shows, seal shows, and a water skiing show. They also have the shark tanks and other salt water exhibits. Scripps is small...
The San Diego Zoo is one of the best in the world so that is another option. They also have the Wild Animal Park in North County...I haven't been to that but have heard good things. There is also Lego Land in Northern San Diego County...once again I haven't been there, but have heard nothing but good things.

grips

The Birch aquarium is small, but I think it's perfect for a 2 year old. It's much cheaper than Sea World and the smaller size allows for a quick get-away in the case of a cranky/tired kid.
Sea World is always fun, but it's more money and the length of time spent traveling from one exhibit to another can be tiring for a child; Although, Sea World will have much larger and better exhibits than the Birch Aquarium.
I've been to the San Diego Zoo. It's incredibly big! They have just about every animal you would like to see except for fish. They have no fish/reef exhibit at all. The zoo is mainly mammel and reptile based. It's a great place to visit if you love animals, but don't go there if you want to look at fish.

socalracer

i have been to the zoo and the wild animal park and while i enjoyed it my daughter has more fun at aquariums (we have gone to the aquarium of the pacific) because the animals are always right in your face..... when we did go to the zoo she loved the gorillas and polar bears b/c the were right by the glass. and im noy really worrried about the price b/c the have the promotion going were you buy one day and get a season pass for free and she'll be free

clown boy

Originally Posted by socalracer
http:///forum/post/2496055
im going to have my 2 yr old daughter near san diego and wanted to take her to an aquarium what would you guys suggest the scripps aquarium at UCSD or sea world........im just worried sea world might be to many rides and not enough exhibits and im worried scripps might be really small.....i've been to aquarium of the specific how do these compare to it? thanks
My advice is: Wait. She's only two, and therefore probably isn't going to remember that wonderful trip. Wait until she can really enjoy it.

sigmachris

Then hit Sea World for sure...as I mentioned earlier it is mostly a show based park and not a ride based park. I would try to look up online to see when the shows are so you can plan the trip around the shows and nap times. My 2 year old couldn't go the whole without a nap.

sigmachris

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
http:///forum/post/2496518
My advice is: Wait. She's only two, and therefore probably isn't going to remember that wonderful trip. Wait until she can really enjoy it.

Never too early IMO...my 2 year old, well I should say 3 since the b-day is in a couple of weeks as been to Sea World 3 times, Aquarium of the Pacific twice, Cincinnati Aquarium a dozen times, both the Cincy zoo and San Diego zoo, Wild Animal Park, Wright Patterson Airplane Museum, children's museums. We love to expose him to a lot of things and he seems to respond in a very positive manner. Heck the kid gets a blast out of going to the fish store with Daddy even though he has his own reef in his bedroom.
He has a great appreciation for animals and I think its nice to see them up close rather than on Sesame Street or Dora. Will he remember all the trips probably not, but my wife and I sure do and they are great memories seeing his face light up. It is a lot of fun seeing him spot a Clown Fish from 30 feet away and yelling "Nemo" as he sprints to the tank to see it closer.
Sounds like the OP wants to expose her child and Sea World is worth it. Especially when the kids do get in free still at that age.

sigmachris

Racer one other thing...if you ever have the chance to take them up to NorCal...the Monterey Bay Aquarium puts the Long Beach Aquarium to shame. Its not even close, it will make the LB Aquarium look like a fish store in comparison.

socalracer

sigmachris i agree.... my daughter went to the norfolk zoo and aquarium (vacation to VA) when she was one and i know she doesn't remember it but i got out of the house and enjoyed the day and she had fun at the time and since i live in southern CA it really isn't that big of a deal to go down there its not like its out of state......and when she was 18 months she really did like the San Diego zoo especially any animal that she could see close up and the petting zoo....that is why i like the aquariums bc she sees the animals everytime instead of looking for them....also she is very good at identifying animals maybe that is why i dont mind paying the money because she says shark, turtle, fishy etc and gets better everytime she sees one.....also i want to go

socalracer

sigmachris i want to get up there to monteray bay aquarium i really wanted to go like 8 months ago when they had the secound white shark but it is a long drive and that is one thing im concerned about with her nothing worse then i crying baby in the car for 6 hrs

socalracer

i know im going on and on but hwen she was 18 months she was practically trying to jump into the open shallow tank for touching at Aq of Pacific....it was crazy cause there was rays and fish zooming around and she was fearless

gliderjohn

You may not be able to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium very soon, but definitely put it on your list of things to do. It's the best aquarium I've been to. And that was over 20 years ago.
My kids were 1 1/2 and 3 at the time. Of course they can't remember any specifics, but they do have some recollection of the visit.

socal57che

I vote for SeaWorld. (silver members)
Be sure to feed the rays in Forbidden Reef.
Don't miss Pets Rule. It's pretty cool.
Go to the gift shop first and buy a HUGE refillable mug. Good for cold drinks and hot chocolate, too. If it's clear try the tower. If it's cloudy, don't bother.
I also recommend visiting La Jolla Cove at 5pm. The harbor seals are a must see. If you make it to SD very often I would suggest buying a season pass to Cabrillo National Monument so you can visit the tide pools.
Hope you have a great time.
ps if you go to Scripps, bring water jugs. They offer salt water to reefers free of charge.