People should go easy on Manti Teo

crimzy

After listening and reading everything that I could about this wild situation, I don't feel that the public outrage is warranted.
To me, the real story is pretty apparent. I believe that Teo is gay, and that's why the fake girlfriend thing started. I'm sure it spiraled out of control and, like in other situations, the cover-up becomes more of an issue than anything else. I think this is a young guy, who is about to enter into a professional sport that has never seen a homosexual player or former player (to my knowledge). He's just a kid, dealing with some very difficult issues as he comes into his own, and happens to be doing so with the media attention of a top NFL prospect.
I wish the media would stop talking about this, and I wish the people would support this kid who I don't believe has intended to hurt anyone. I'd be fine with my team picking him up in the draft.
Manti, if you're a SWF guy, got your back dude...

sweatervest13

Gay, straight, or in between. Does not matter. A liar is a liar. Nobody made him keep lying about all this stuff. He even asked Katie Couric what she would do in his situation. WTH?? Try, not lying!!!
No way I would want him on my team (unless its like a 5th round pick), he got exposed in the National Title game.

crimzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/394349/people-should-go-easy-on-manti-teo#post_3509890
Gay, straight, or in between. Does not matter. A liar is a liar. Nobody made him keep lying about all this stuff. He even asked Katie Couric what she would do in his situation. WTH?? Try, not lying!!!
No way I would want him on my team (unless its like a 5th round pick), he got exposed in the National Title game.
Being "in the closet" as a gay man is, by definition, lying to the world. I don't see his offense as all that atrocious considering the tough situation that I believe he was in.
You're right about his play on the field in the title game. Probably dropped him out of the first round based on performance alone.

2quills

Being "in the closet" as a gay man is, by definition, lying to the world. 
Are you speaking hypothetically or just about this situation? I dont see how by not broadcasting to the world about your personal business is lying.
I already understand the actuall lying part. Just dont understand the logic of branding someone as a liar for not sharing their personal business with you.

crimzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/394349/people-should-go-easy-on-manti-teo#post_3509893
Are you speaking hypothetically or just about this situation? I dont see how by not broadcasting to the world about your personal business is lying.
I think the distinction is just semantics but I'll play along...
Anyone who is "in the closet" is holding themselves out to the world to be straight so that they fit into the mainstream. Whether that means they simply don't mention being gay and silently let people believe they are straight, or they overtly lie to corroborate their heterosexuality doesn't really matter to me. I'd imagine that the gay person who wants to keep his sexual preference hidden would do whatever the situation requires to keep up the appearance.
You're distinction seems to be that lying is different from silently allowing someone to believe something untrue. I don't see that being all that different.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/394349/people-should-go-easy-on-manti-teo#post_3509892
Being "in the closet" as a gay man is, by definition, lying to the world. I don't see his offense as all that atrocious considering the tough situation that I believe he was in.
You're right about his play on the field in the title game. Probably dropped him out of the first round based on performance alone.
I agree that an "in the closet" gay man is by definition lying to the world. But there is a difference (in my mind at least) between lying about what sex of person you prefer to sleep with vs lying to the entire country about having a dead girlfriend once he knew that she was not dead. BIG DIFFERENCE.
He brought it up at the Heisman trophy presentation, that the most challenging thing he over came this season was the loss of his girlfriend. Or something to that effect. He knew she was not real 2 days before that. That is not lying to keep his sexual preference a secret, that is lying to increase his chances to win the Heisman. Lying for personal gain is different than lying to keep in the closet. Agree??
I would think that he could be a good pick 3rd round or later. Second seems a little early. That South Carolina lineman Jadeveon Clowney looks like a beast. Too bad he has to stay in school for 1 more year.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure we need to jump to the conclusion that he is gay. People get seriously duped with online romances all the time. Aren't there two relative, one male, the other female, who are the alleged "girlfriend"? The female relative supposedly has a record of doing this sort of thing.

darthtang aw

1. Not openly announcing you are gay is not lying. At the point you are asked if gay and then say no when you are truly gay, that is lying. If he was never asked if he was gay, he never lied about it.
2. the only thing he may have lied about is an online relationship. People do this type of thing regularly. Especially school age boys. You have seen it in movies a lot.
3. People care because the news cares. What the news cares to report and discuss the population cares about in that moment. There was a Federal court ruling today that I am sure 80% here did not know about. Why? Because the News didn't care. Even though this ruling has implications towards appointments by President Obama.

2quills

I think the distinction is just semantics but I'll play along...
Anyone who is "in the closet" is holding themselves out to the world to be straight so that they fit into the mainstream.  Whether that means they simply don't mention being gay and silently let people believe they are straight, or they overtly lie to corroborate their heterosexuality doesn't really matter to me.  I'd imagine that the gay person who wants to keep his sexual preference hidden would do whatever the situation requires to keep up the appearance.
You're distinction seems to be that lying is different from silently allowing someone to believe something untrue.  I don't see that being all that different.
I dont know, crimzy. You're throwing pretty much anyone who is in the closest all into the same category here without making distinctions. I can let some believe whatever they want to believe about me without going out of my way to correct them. But if I litterally told them something different than the truth then that is actually lying.
Matters little to me either way. Just trying to understand your thought process. Carry on...

crimzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/394349/people-should-go-easy-on-manti-teo#post_3509897
I agree that an "in the closet" gay man is by definition lying to the world. But there is a difference (in my mind at least) between lying about what sex of person you prefer to sleep with vs lying to the entire country about having a dead girlfriend once he knew that she was not dead. BIG DIFFERENCE.
He brought it up at the Heisman trophy presentation, that the most challenging thing he over came this season was the loss of his girlfriend. Or something to that effect. He knew she was not real 2 days before that. That is not lying to keep his sexual preference a secret, that is lying to increase his chances to win the Heisman. Lying for personal gain is different than lying to keep in the closet. Agree??
I would think that he could be a good pick 3rd round or later. Second seems a little early. That South Carolina lineman Jadeveon Clowney looks like a beast. Too bad he has to stay in school for 1 more year.
As to your point about him bringing it up and using the lie to win the heisman, I think you're probably right. But again, I think that what may have started as an innocuous little white lie that spiraled into a huge deal. He probably played it up a bit when he saw some benefits but I don't think the lie was created for any malicious reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth
http:///t/394349/people-should-go-easy-on-manti-teo#post_3509898
I'm not sure we need to jump to the conclusion that he is gay. People get seriously duped with online romances all the time. Aren't there two relative, one male, the other female, who are the alleged "girlfriend"? The female relative supposedly has a record of doing this sort of thing.
Their side hasn't fully come out yet but the guy (can't even try to spell his name) claimed to have impersonated a female voice on the telephone. I heard some of the voicemails on the radio and there is no way it sounds like a man's voice.
These people are somehow involved but I'm not sure there was any real motive just to dupe him. And, as sweatervest mentioned, he did promulgate the lie himself after he found out about the hoax. I think that these people (or some combination of them), were in bed together... both literally and figuratively...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/394349/people-should-go-easy-on-manti-teo#post_3509897
First off, I think you're both wrong about his sexuality. And talking about it like it's some well known fact is a little unfair, don't you think? Secondly, what would you do in that situation where you got played that badly?
As someone who used to be on a division I football schedule, I can tell you that between class, practice, study table, second practice, dinner, homework, and sleep; you have no time for a social life. The situation, while bizarre, is completely believable. You also have to remember he's Morman, so shacking up with a woman before marriage is a big no no. This was all very easy for him and his life. Once he found out he got played, he did what 95% of the rest of you would, which is cover his tracks so not to look like a complete dumba**. It's even bigger when you're on the national stage with TMZ cameras lurking around the corner.
Yes, he lied, but under those circumstances, you can bet your butt I would have done the same thing.
The other two things that irritate me about your post... 1) The Heisman was decided long before he ever took the stage at the NY Athletic Club, so him "lying for personal gain" to win the Heisman is a complete joke. Didn't happen, period.
Secondly, you apparently don't know much about football if you think he is a third round pick or later. He'll probably end up going to Pittsburgh in the late first round, and if not there, it will be shortly after.
Lastly, and this goes for most people on this board... When did everyone become so judgemental? Do none of you have any skeletons in your closet? I can't get over the amount of vitriol that is spread on these boards about all kinds of various topics. I'm the first to admit I'm not perfect, so you won't find me piling on someone unless they did something just inexcusable. Does anyone practice forgiveness and "turning the other cheek" anymore?!?

darthtang aw

First off, I think you're both wrong about his sexuality.  And talking about it like it's some well known fact is a little unfair, don't you think?  Secondly, what would you do in that situation where you got played that badly? 
As someone who used to be on a division I football schedule, I can tell you that between class, practice, study table, second practice, dinner, homework, and sleep;  you have no time for a social life. The situation, while bizarre, is completely believable.  You also have to remember he's Morman, so shacking up with a woman before marriage is a big no no.  This was all very easy for him and his life.  Once he found out he got played, he did what 95% of the rest of you would, which is cover his tracks so not to look like a complete dumba**.  It's even bigger when you're on the national stage with TMZ cameras lurking around the corner.
Yes, he lied, but under those circumstances, you can bet your butt I would have done the same thing. 
The other two things that irritate me about your post... 1) The Heisman was decided long before he ever took the stage at the NY Athletic Club, so him "lying for personal gain" to win the Heisman is a complete joke.  Didn't happen, period.
Secondly, you apparently don't know much about football if you think he is a third round pick or later.  He'll probably end up going to Pittsburgh in the late first round, and if not there, it will be shortly after. 
Lastly, and this goes for most people on this board... When did everyone become so judgemental?  Do none of you have any skeletons in your closet? I can't get over the amount of vitriol that is spread on these boards about all kinds of various topics.  I'm the first to admit I'm not perfect, so you won't find me piling on someone unless they did something just inexcusable.  Does anyone practice forgiveness and "turning the other cheek" anymore?!?
Why are you and I agreeing on things more and more lately? The only part I disagree with you is that the people here would have continued the lie. This a baseless assumption with no factual basis on the story or issue.
Darth (Where is my xanax) Tang
P.S. I bury my skeletons in the desert. Only sick psycho serial killers keep them in their living areas.....

crimzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/394349/people-should-go-easy-on-manti-teo#post_3509904
First off, I think you're both wrong about his sexuality. And talking about it like it's some well known fact is a little unfair, don't you think? Secondly, what would you do in that situation where you got played that badly?
As someone who used to be on a division I football schedule, I can tell you that between class, practice, study table, second practice, dinner, homework, and sleep; you have no time for a social life. The situation, while bizarre, is completely believable. You also have to remember he's Morman, so shacking up with a woman before marriage is a big no no. This was all very easy for him and his life. Once he found out he got played, he did what 95% of the rest of you would, which is cover his tracks so not to look like a complete dumba**. It's even bigger when you're on the national stage with TMZ cameras lurking around the corner.
The other two things that irritate me about your post... 1) The Heisman was decided long before he ever took the stage at the NY Athletic Club, so him "lying for personal gain" to win the Heisman is a complete joke. Didn't happen, period.
Secondly, you apparently don't know much about football if you think he is a third round pick or later. He'll probably end up going to Pittsburgh in the late first round, and if not there, it will be shortly after.
Lastly, and this goes for most people on this board... When did everyone become so judgemental? Do none of you have any skeletons in your closet? I can't get over the amount of vitriol that is spread on these boards about all kinds of various topics. I'm the first to admit I'm not perfect, so you won't find me piling on someone unless they did something just inexcusable. Does anyone practice forgiveness and "turning the other cheek" anymore?!?
Wow... this is quite the vitriolic response to a fairly light hearted conversation. Never did I suggest that him potentially being gay is fact but simply indicated that this is what I believe. Additionally, if you were a football player who didn't have a social life then you must have 3 heads or look like the swamp thing. I have seen, been in places, and partied with football players in my formative years. To suggest that they don't have social lives just suggests to me that you weren't invited...

I support the guy. I believe that he is gay because that is the only way that this situation makes sense to me. If he actually isn't gay then I have to re-think my support of him. On another note, ease up... this is just Friday afternoon fodder. No need for more unnecessary outrage... lol

ironeagle2006

Crimzy I was dating a woman about 7 Years ago things where going Great between us and no problems complete with Engagement Rings bought for her. 2 Freaking days before I was going to POP the Question to her I get an Email saying Sorry I am a Lesbian and was only using YOU to get my LOVER to treat me Better.

crimzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///t/394349/people-should-go-easy-on-manti-teo#post_3509911
Crimzy I was dating a woman about 7 Years ago things where going Great between us and no problems complete with Engagement Rings bought for her. 2 Freaking days before I was going to POP the Question to her I get an Email saying Sorry I am a Lesbian and was only using YOU to get my LOVER to treat me Better.
That's nuts... at least she actually existed though...

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/394349/people-should-go-easy-on-manti-teo#post_3509904
Where exactly did I say anything about his sexuality??? I never said that I thought that he was gay, or that he lied to cover his tracks. That was the OP. I stated that someone lying about their sexuality is different then lying for personal gain or additional fame.
I would like to think that I would have come clean about the whole thing. Not keep the lie up. But I have not been in that situation before so I can't say for sure.
I am sure the Heisman was decided before he was on stage that night. He still lied that night knowing that the whole dead girlfriend was fake. That makes him a big fat liar!!
About the not knowing football, you may be right Mel Kipper, but time will tell and we can see where he goes.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Its a BB where people are just popping their opinions and "feelings" out there to others who they have come to know in the Aquarium. Everyone on the planet is "judgmental" to some degree, Clem . The reason for that is because we all have our on value system, morals, beliefs, and experiences. And when you are with others who you have come to know, then individual belief systems are exposed.
I'd think the Aquarium would be one big monotonous bore if we didn't express ourselves here. Oh yea, I can totally disagree with what someone says, and feel like what they said was invalid, but, hey, they come around the next day and say something I agree with or can related to. We're people, not drones. As long as the conversation does not involve personal attacks, vulgarity, TOS violations, etc., then its ok.

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///t/394349/people-should-go-easy-on-manti-teo#post_3509911
For SEVEN YEARS?????