people with 20-30g tanks

dennis26

Hey guys i have a 26 g reef tank and im looking for a hang on skimmer that would work properly with my tank.
Tank is up and going about five months.
Is the cpr bakpak ,or prizm by the red sea good enough or would i have to upgrade with those later?
Now i have a regant 20-30 hang on filter plus pover head 301
Tank seems a lil unstable and i was hoping the skimmer would help a bit. Im gonna put in soft and hard corals when i get experienced enough.
what type of lighting system would u recommend now it has the factory 15w lamp in it
Thank you all
Dennis :help:

flatzboy

I would get the aquaC remora they are awesome skimmers and they run about $180 online. As for your lighting do you wanna keep sps or just soft coral and lps. For soft coral and lps I would get some power compacts like 2x65 watt would serve you well for those corals but if you want sps coral then get like a 175 watt metal halide with some power compact or vho for supplements.

boomper

I second the Aqua C Remora, definatley worth the price and perfect for your size tank. I run one on my 29 and the water quality is outstanding. I also run a 250 w MH HQI Pendant over my tank, perhaps a little more than necessary, but also worth the investment.

flatzboy

Originally posted by Boomper
I second the Aqua C Remora, definatley worth the price and perfect for your size tank. I run one on my 29 and the water quality is outstanding. I also run a 250 w MH HQI Pendant over my tank, perhaps a little more than necessary, but also worth the investment.

Do you supplement your halide or not? what kelvin rating is your bulb? Is it yellow at all with just the halide if its not supplemented?

dennis26

Thanx Boomper and Flatzboy
I'll probable get that Aqua C remora skimmer.The price is lil higher but i guess if bouth of u say that its worth the money ...its worth the money .It'll probable save me the waste of time and money going thru the cheap and useles skimmers.
Later on I'd like to go with sps and lps .
Dennis:D

dennis26

Man doesn't all this sometimes make you guys wanna drain it a fill it up with fresh water? it seems like it never stops u always have to get something different.. Im kind of new in this hobby but its tough

maybe its bc i went right for the salt ... no exp.in the fresh just when i was lil kid.
thanx guys
dennis

jeffro8332

if you can't spend 180 on a protein skimmer than don't you can get very good skimmers at various online shops or ----. do some research before you buy. unless you just want a bigger skimmer for tank upgrades later. that is what i did i a have a via-aqua (75$) which is rated for 130 g on my 29 g. as for lights i also have the 2*65w (100$) coralife lights which i love. i can and have kept most everything except sps and clams. imo
j

dennis26

I've been reserching like crazy the last couple days. I got the Aqua c remora on e-bay and now im looking for the lighting (i bet if lighting was any more expensive it would be illegal):notsure:
Its hard to find something for the 26bow i cant imagine the coroner tanks. The max size of the light should be 23'long 7'wide for me to get around. MH light fixtures are so big