Pepermint Shrimp Question

mikeyfishy

I have three peppermint shrimp in my 46g and they've been thriving for about 2 months. I don't do anything special and I've found them to be some of the hardiest creatures in the tank: they lived through my hydrogen sulfide problem when all the fish died a while back. My tank is at 1.023 salinity and 77F temp. As others have suggested, try the acclimation info on this site. If your water is close in pH and salinity to the fish store's water and is ammonia/nitrite free, I've found long drip-type acclimation to be unnecessary but when all other factors seem in line, acclimation is about all that is left (that is within your control) so better to try it the recommended way than take chances. Personally, I test the lfs water in the bag and compare it to my own so I'll know how much acclimation is necessary, but some may consider that overkill.
Mike

cjason3041

Mikeyfishy
that is GREAT info..test the LFS water...wow i have never heard anyone say that before...seems so simple though, that way you have a baseline...thanks for the info

pikapp168

That is great info thanks Mike! I'll try that when I get my next one...kinda funny to think that I killed 2 of them. i some ways that is 2 extra value meals and McDonalds. Kinda sucks if you think about it that way. LOL

mikeyfishy

Originally Posted by cjason3041
Mikeyfishy
that is GREAT info..test the LFS water...wow i have never heard anyone say that before...seems so simple though, that way you have a baseline...thanks for the info
Note that I only test pH and salinity as those tend to be the biggest acclimation factors. Things like ammonia you can't test because ammonia will spike in the bag before you can get the fish home! From testing the lfs water in the bags, I've found one of my lfs to match my tank nicely (pH=8.3, salinity=1.023). The other lfs tends to have low salinity (1.017 or so) so I use the drip method with that one. For the lfs that matches my tank WRT pH and salinity, I've never lost a fish by just floating the bags 20 minutes. Dumping some of my water into the bag and floating another 20, then release.
I've also found that if your drive/float time is too long, the fish creating its own ammonia in the bag can start to shift pH, so you have to watch that. I don't see any appreciable shift in pH, however, if I go my usual length of time (one hour total in the bag): 20 minute drive to get home, 20 minute soak, 20 minute soak with 1/2 lfs and 1/2 tank water in the bag.
Just thought I'd give some additional info since a couple of people seemed interested.
Mike