Peppemint Shrimp Breeding

hunt

I want to get two or three peppermint shrimp and put them in my 1g tank. My question is, if they breed, can i just put some phyto feast in the 1g and they will live, or do i have to actually do something thatll cost me?
Any imput on breeding these will be helpful

aquaman

you will need larger than a 1 gal, I would go with at least a 10g, and then you need to have very light filtration so the young shrip do not get sucked up. You may even need to move the adults out, but I am not sure on that. Last the feeding will be harder than phyto, that may work as they get bigger, but I am sure you would need something smaller than that. There are people on this site that know much more than I do about this. I was able to get them to breed, but never past the first few hours of life for the babies.

hunt

well then in that case it sounds much cheaper to just buy them for like 9 bucks a piece

hunt

Originally Posted by Aquaman
http:///forum/post/3252460
you will need larger than a 1 gal, I would go with at least a 10g, and then you need to have very light filtration so the young shrip do not get sucked up. You may even need to move the adults out, but I am not sure on that. Last the feeding will be harder than phyto, that may work as they get bigger, but I am sure you would need something smaller than that. There are people on this site that know much more than I do about this. I was able to get them to breed, but never past the first few hours of life for the babies.

shrimpy brains just gave me a great site for this, if your interested in breeding them, marinebreeder.org

hunt

I really dont remember the price i saw, that was a guess,
i want them for aiptasia, its either those (cheap) or berghia(not that cheap) i would rather go with the nudi but my cash flow is running on empty so i figured if i can get a dew generations out of a few peppermint shrimp, i would be good

lmecher

I have (I think) 10 in my 50. They breed regularly, 1 gallon is way too small for 1 (it would almost touch both sides) let alone 2. How about a couple sexys? I used to keep 1 in my 2 1/2g.

hunt

what do you mean, it would almost touch both sides? anyways, im trying to kill off aiptasia so a sexy would not help me.
Ive never seen a peppermint shrimp at 2,50 here, your store muust have a supplier near by or something.

handbanana

on sale in phx AZ for 12.99 or two for twenty. Good luck breeding them Hunt. That would be cool if it works out.

jchase1970

I just bought 10 for $30 so maybe you can check another store, although the first store here had them for $9 apiece or 3 for $25.

jackri

I've had them spawn regularly in my 90g before and have had the fry for 3-4 days in some instances. If you're not set up to raise them you basically have no chance and if you are set up you are still going to have a lot of die off. Theres a book out there called How to Rear and Raise Peppermint Shrimp. The title is close to that if I got a word off.