peppermint shrimp and Aptisia

reefnjeff

I have used these shrimp to get control of Aptisia outbreaks before with success, I am now having another outbreak, but now I have a concern.
I have a good size population of flower anemones and what I am wondering is seeing that the flower is about the same size of Aptisia, will he eat them also?

mlm

Unfortunatly in my experience they will not eat these "flower" anenomies. I have a large outbreak of them also and what I have does is load a syringe full of buffer and inject it into the stalk of the anenomie. It works about 80% of the time.

oneflysi

can't beat the product "stop aptasia". i ordered a nice size bottle from reeffantatic.com for $7.00. i had some nice sized aptasia's in my tank and quite a few small ones. injected them with a syringe and medicine....they were gone within 8 hours.
though i have been told many different things will work. some calcium or kalkwasser injected into them will kill them. heard even to use boiling water in a syringe and inject it in the disc. never tried those but i'm sure they would work the majority of the time.
-One

reefnjeff

Actually the flowers ain't a probleam yet, in fact I have made a little money off them, but thanx for your replies. I will give a syringe a try, there pretty fast to get tucked back in to there little holes though, I was wondering what do you do to get rid of all the dead little Aptisia thats going to be in your tank?

radge69

If you can, pull the rock that the aiptasia is on out of the tank and then inject them. If you pull the rock out they can't suck back into the rock and then they are very easy to get. I haven't pulled any of the dead ones off the rock, but they seem to disappear by themselves.

oneflysi

yea rendos, that is the only reason i posted where i bought it from also. i checked swf.com but they do not carry stop aptasia.
alot of times i've been told certain fish will eat the dead aptasia and you don't have to do anything. they are suppose to just fall off the rock after they die, but i have yet to see one in my tank. if i do see one, i'll just siphon it out.
-One

jeo

I squirted a few of mine with hot water mixed with kalk powder. They dissapeared. There is no trace of them in the tank.

worm

my sollution: hot water and a turkey baster. just remember, dont squirt close to any other inverts. you can hurt them too.
i also purchased some peppermint shrimp (SWF.com has a good deal on them, it's where i got mine).
good luck ...and don't think you'll get rid of them completely, they will always come back. from my experiences :)