Peppermint shrimp question

flower

I have three peps in my Kuda tank. They have grown so much...should I worry about them bothering the horses? I thought peppermints stayed small. These guys are the size of Skunk cleaners now, and I just found another shed skin.

meowzer

They will not bother the horses Flower.....the only concern is that they are fast and may get to the food before the horses.....so they are actually food competitors....LOL
I would not worry about it...just keep them well-fed :)

tangs rule

I really doubt they would - I keep pepps & skunks, and they reach about 1.75" to 2" - but I've never seen the pepps go after anything but sifting the substrate for food. I'd say your 99% safe. They also seem to last about 2 to 2.5 years old total age.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangs rule http:///t/391171/peppermint-shrimp-question#post_3467830
I really doubt they would - I keep pepps & skunks, and they reach about 1.75" to 2" - but I've never seen the pepps go after anything but sifting the substrate for food. I'd say your 99% safe. They also seem to last about 2 to 2.5 years old total age.
Seahorses are slow eaters...the shrimps used to stay in the back and forage for food at night. They are creeping out now while the horses are feeding. The skunk cleaners are listed as not good tank mates, I assume that's because they harass them. Now the peppermints are hanging out while the horses eat. Taking the horses food is the concern.

novahobbies

I would wait, watch, and see. I used to have the opposite problem...if I put a pep shrimp in with the H. reidi I used to keep, the shrimp would be horse food by the next morning. They would descend on the shrimp, corner it, and take turns snicking it and ripping it apart limb from limb. It was a macabre, but fascinating, thing to watch.
If these guys are getting too big for their breeches, you may have to re-home them. Just keep an eye and see how much they're stealing. I worried about this when I made the decision to keep the mandarins in the horse tank, but they're not nearly as aggressive as shrimp are when it comes to the dinner bell.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391171/peppermint-shrimp-question#post_3467886
I would wait, watch, and see. I used to have the opposite problem...if I put a pep shrimp in with the H. reidi I used to keep, the shrimp would be horse food by the next morning. They would descend on the shrimp, corner it, and take turns snicking it and ripping it apart limb from limb. It was a macabre, but fascinating, thing to watch.
If these guys are getting too big for their breeches, you may have to re-home them. Just keep an eye and see how much they're stealing. I worried about this when I made the decision to keep the mandarins in the horse tank, but they're not nearly as aggressive as shrimp are when it comes to the dinner bell.
Wow, my horses haven't figured out yet the big shrimp is as tasty as the little ones...The peps have not actually gone to the feeding station, but they are getting closer. I will keep an eye on them for sure. The female has eggs, I can see them in her abdoman the horses will have a feast when they are released in the tank. My erectus enjoyed the last brood.