peppermint shrimp

nyreefer

I am thinking of buying a few of these for my 55 to get ride of my aiptasia and just wanted to see if anyone has had a negative experience with them. I have a variety of corals that I don't want them to munch on and also a cleaner shrimp.

goulding.c

The best thing I have found for aptasia is this new stuf called Joe's juice. I found it on there website I beleave joes juice.com. It is working great for me, if you are worried about the peppermint shrimp. I just shoot a few before each water change.
CG

nm reef

I've kept peppermints with a large assortment of corals and a few other types of shrimp...they've never been a problem. very kewl creatures to have around in my opinion. I currently have 5 in my display.

nyreefer

I've heard of Joe's Juice and I'll use it on the larger ones, I haven't kept up on them and I have too many small ones to inject. Thought the peppermints might be a good alternative.

donmgicwon

Originally posted by NM reef
I've kept peppermints with a large assortment of corals and a few other types of shrimp...they've never been a problem. very kewl creatures to have around in my opinion. I currently have 5 in my display.

Do you have any yellow polyps? I think my pepps ate all mine.

nm reef

The number you keep would be a personal preference...I like keeping several....primarily to keep control over my yellow polyps. They sometimes reduce them but have never gotten rid of all of them.

donmgicwon

Originally posted by NM reef
primarily to keep control over my yellow polyps. They sometimes reduce them but have never gotten rid of all of them.

Mine must have been very hungry.:yes:

goulding.c

On the rocks with many small ones I just squirt the joes juice over top and covered them all. Make all pumps are off and water is still while doing it. I let them sit and burn down and then I fire everything back up and do my water change. I had houndred all over everything and after a month Its hard to find any.
CG

goulding.c

They claim it is safe for everything and they have trials and pics on there website using it right in the middle of corals. I am not that daring though. It scares me to wonder what is in it to shrival up and kill the anemone so fast. It is instant!:notsure:
CG

kdfrosty

Originally posted by Clown52
Have had no trouble with my pepermint. I just drop him a pellet daily since the aptasia is all gone.

What kind of pellets? My Peppermints always go crazy when I drop in food (usually Prime Reef flake) for my Tomato Clown, but I can never tell if they are going for it. If anyone has seen their Peppermints feeding, I'd like to know exactly what kind of food they're eating. Also, how do you insure that shrimp gets the food as opposed to a fish (turkey baster, etc.).

wax32

My peppermint ate Ocean Nutrition Formula One (and Two) Marine Pellets before I got rid of him. My skunk cleaner also eats them. They also eat Bio-Blend tropical fish food from Marineland. They ALSO eat Hikari Tropical sinking wafers.
I just drop em in while the fish are busy chasing pellets of their own... one or two hit the bottom and the shrimp and hermits and nassarius snails chase after them.
I've seen my skunk cleaner eat shrimp like from the grocery store also, which is kinda funny when you think about it. :D

ninjamini

Feeding pepermints:
1. I took 2 straws and put them together. I did this by cutting a 1" slit in one end of the straw. Then I slid the slit end into another straw, making a longer one. you could put 2-3-4 together. I also use the bendi straw for the last one. I like to use the bend to feed under rocks.
2. I feed the pellates that float and then sink. Put 1-2 or 3 in the straw and point the straw towards the pepermint. Mine learn very quickly that the straw means food. Mow when the straw hits the water peper comes running. Sometimes she gets so excited she runs up it all the way missing the food comming out the bottom.
Note - I actually developed this method for feeding the countless brittle stars that came with my liverock. They also learnt that when the straw goes in the water you need to raise a hand to get fed.
3. Even my emerald gets in on the act. Comming out of hiding and sticking a claw right up the straw.
4. The fish also learn to follow the straw to the food. I ueually drop food on the top of the water to distract him so everyone else can eat. Thats for the yellow tail damsel. Rude bugger - a true bully.
Finally - the only thing to be careful of is to not get the top of the staw wet. If you do the pellete sicks to the straw and never hits the water.