Peppermint Shrimp

mjdcmaki

We bought two pepermint shrimp and this morning we found that one of the shrimp has shed his shell or skin. Are they supposed to do this and if they are what does it mean!
Thanks

celacanthr

It is molting, which is a natural process by which they grow, and it means that they are healthy and doing what they need to do

danedodger

Shedding their skin, or molting, is perfectly normal for shrimps. He'll be in hiding for awhile now until his new shell hardens up because his skin is soft and vulnerable. Don't go moving rocks or decorations or anything around right now so that you don't accidently hurt him while he's soft.

crazyzeus1

I have also read that your shrimp will molt when put into a new tank as a respose to stress. Not bad stress...but just the changing...
Once they're settled, you'll find a molted skin every once in a while. Don't be alarmed if some of them look JUST like a shrimp. I have (a few times) been convinced that one of our shrimp had died, because I saw the dead body in front of my face, & then he'd come peeking out from behind a rock.

mjdcmaki

Originally Posted by natclanwy
mjdcmaki where in wyoming are you located?
Sorry we have moved from Gillette, Wyoming and live in North Dakota now.