peppermint shrip

cowfishrule

hey
thinking about picking up a peppermint shrimp today.
in addition to aiptasia, what else would they eat? would they eat the detritous on my sandbed?

snailheave

i bought my peppermint shrimps hoping they would eat the detritus. they do, sort of. they are kind of picky actually. and they get very excited when i feed cyclop-eeze to my fish.

tina

There really shouldnt be anything settling on the sand bed. Thats an indicator of poor circulation....but to answer your quesiton, No, they will not eat fish poop, but they will eat left over food and dead fish bodies.
Shrimp should be kept in social groups of at least 2. They are very sociable and will eat out of your hand..whether you want them to or not

meadbhb

Hiya,
My peppermint shrimp is really active when I put mysin shrimp into the tank for the six line to feed on. Otherwise, I see him picking stuff off of rocks.
Meadbhb

steveoutla

I hardly ever see my 3 pepperming shrimp until I drop a couple of shrimp pellets in the tank. Problem is everytime they try to get some food the cleaner shrimp chases them away!
Tina - Should I get another cleaner shrimp since I only have one? Will the one I have be hostile towards him since he's been alone for so long?

thederek

my peppermint would swim up to the top and eat the flake and pellet food I put in for the fish...it was really fun to watch...

J

jasonk

my peppermint shrimp are fun to watch. Mine swim up to the top too, and eat pretty much anything i put in there.

tina

steveoutla, I think it would be a good idea to get a 2nd cleaner. They will not fight, but they will spawn and help feed your coral if you have any.

steveoutla

Tina - I will give it a shot. I'm planning on getting some corals as soon as I get my new lighting (this week). Will the cleaners fight with peppermints if there are too many in the tank? What about other shrimpies? Thanks for the info.

scoobydoo

I have 10 peppermints, 1 cleaner and 1 fire shrimp. Getting 2 more fire shrimp tomorrow. Everyone gets along great.

duke13

Peppermints eat EVERYTHING!
They're pigs! :D
Luckily, mine actually ate my aiptasias. When I feed my fish, they're swimming up at the waterline along with the fish. Pigs I tell you....