perc clown not looking to good

M

majicmike

in my ten gallon aquarium there is a clown fish. He has been doing very good but i looked at him yesterday and he has white dots all over him. I don't think it's ick because it dosn't look like it . But i don't know what else it could be. Any ideas?:confused:

karajay

One percula in a 10g is not that bad (unless there are others in the tank as well).
How long have you had this fish? Have you tested your water? Does it appear to be behaving normally? Is it just spots or is it showing other symptoms (labored breathing, loss of appetite, ragged fins, low activity)?
Ich looks like salt sprinkles on the fish, but a severe case could have larger spots (like salt clumps).
Other ideas - white fuzzy looking patches? peeling skin?
Can you possibly post a picture?
EDIT: I just read through some of your other posts. Do you still also have three other damsels and the clown in a newly cycled 10g tank? Definately too many fish for a 10g.

mr. tuna

a 10 gallon tank is small for a percula..
but with the ick catagory, it is parasites if it isnt ick.

britt_6324

majicmike dosen't have but 1 damsel and the clown now. The local fish store also has a 10 gallon that has a clown in it that has been doing great for 10 or more years. They said it is perfectly fine. But, on the clown there are white spots but he is acting normally. It dosen't look like he's going to die. I'm sure it's nothing that can't be treated.:yes:

M

majicmike

oyam......
why dont you look at some of the other posts about 10 gallons on here.....if my perc is dead it sure does still know how to swim after it is deceased! There are plenty of people on here with 10 gallons that have percs and other fish as well. I am not trying to be rude but you need to look around before you just start telling people like me that my fish is going to die. Guess what! the white spots went away and he is fine. Thanks for telling me he is dead though. appreciate it.

marineman

we need to help others get answers with this posts, not condem anyone. Clowns in the wild have very small territories while staying very close to their host anemone for protection from predators. Majicmike just remember water conditions can change quickly in a 10g so monitor water quality closely and your clown should do just fine. Good luck:happyfish

M

majicmike

Thank You Marineman, I will continue to closely monitor the levels.....do you suggest doing water changes every week or once a month?

marineman

For this size tank, if you have time a 5-10% water change weekly is great esp if your bio load is in the med - high range. If your busy or prefer a 15-20% change every 2 weeks would work if your bioload is low-med range and feeding schedule is not to frequent. Good luck!

tonya-sr

how long did you say, you had your clown? the reason i ask is because i read somewhere that there is a disease that only clown fish get, and it only passes from one clown to the next, and other fish can't get this disease.:notsure: what the name of it is either. but kind of looks like velvet disease, and it attacks the respitory system. if someone can help me on this, please by all means do. in the mean time i'm going to look through all my books to see if i can find it.
thanks tonya-sr

marineman

its called clownfish disease ( brooklynella hostilis ) is the causative organism. you will copious slime that sloughs of the skin

M

majicmike

got the clown from ***** about 2 to 3 weeks ago....the white spots have cleared up over the past few days. I will do a 5% weekly and maybe that will help.

tonya-sr

thanks marineman, i was going crazy trying to remember, brooklynella hostilis. also in the book i read, i think there is a treatment for this, right? boy i'm a complete unbrainer today! maybe you can help me with that also,? and this might help someone else one day? i know it would have helped me almost 3 years ago, when i lost four percs.
anyway thanks again

tonya-sr

marineman

tonya-sr
B hostilis is a ciliated protazoa and infects other fish as well, so all host must be removed from display tank for a month to break the life cycle. Then treat with Formalin and malachite green in quarantine tank.