Percula Clown question

dsbdude

Ok, pretty soon i am going to get some P clowns from my LFS, but they are a light orange color, instead of the more dark and rich orange color clowns usually have. They were pretty little, so when they get older will they turn a more darker orange?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by DSBdude
http:///forum/post/2523242
Ok, pretty soon i am going to get some P clowns from my LFS, but they are a light orange color, instead of the more dark and rich orange color clowns usually have. They were pretty little, so when they get older will they turn a more darker orange?

Their color is based on a few different factors. Region, where they were originated from collected and or breed. Diet, omega 3 fatty acid nutrient rich foods tend to enhance colors. And maturity, as they get older their colors change depending on the species you have. You will notice that mood will also make them darker or lighter. Lights off in your tank I had a yellow tail damsel that would turn almost powder blue, 3 minutes after the lights came on it darkened right up. Clowns may also very faded when the lights are off or when very stressed their color leaves them. Its hard to say when or if and to what degree your fish will change color. But to a certain degree juvenile to adults usually have some change.

scout

FWIW, my wife brought home a small percula that was a very light, faded appearing orange and I was concerned he wouldn't be as attractive as I hoped. Of course I acted like it was a great fish to avoid her wrath but the truth is it quickly became a deeper more typical orange and I have been very happy with it(except that it is mean as Hades). It is a bigger beautiful fish nine months later but the improvement in color was pretty quick actually. Not sure that this means the same will happen for these you are looking at but that was my experience.

J

jesses89

theyre not sick....
like Dark said.. it depends from where they were collected from.
ive had my perc for over a year... its that "light" dull orange color you speak off... nice and healthy(a little overweight)
and i recently added another perc for her two weeks ago... it has that rich orange you speak off... its sort of like not having the same fish.. because theyre both diff colors
tonight finally she let him in the LTA
so thats pretty cool

J

jesses89

Some pics i didnt think i needed, but ill post them just to show what i meant.. sorta