Percula clown rumor

coop21

I heard from a couple people that tank raised percula clowns are as hardy as damsels when cycling your tank. They are a beautiful fish and a little bit more $$$ than your average damsel. Anyone got any input? Thanks!!!!

S

slk3599

Why would you want to use this expensive and beautifult fish to cycle a tank? Use cocktail shrimp from the deli to cycle your tank or ammonia will cycle a tank also. Then put the clowns in when you know they have a chance to survive.
Susan

coop21

Hold on, not telling you what I did, just what I heard. Sounds a little nuts to me, but you never know until you ask. Hey, at least I asked.

goofieones

When I cycled my tank, the lfs had a two for one deal on tank raised Per. clowns, so they were like $7.00 a piece. I used them to cycle my tank, none of them died!! I did feel sorry that they had to go through such poor water conditions :( but I never saw them getting to stressed about it, they were good little guys. :) But knowing what I know now, I would use the raw shrimp.

mr . salty

Depending on the tank size,you just drop a small piece or two of FRESH RAW COCKTAIL shrimp into the tank.This shrimp will start to decay in a day or two causing ammonia.This ammonia will fuel the cycle.

K

krustytheclownfish

There has been a lot of mention of it on this bb lately. Do a search here and you'll find a lot of info.
[ May 04, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]

T

the new guy

For what it is worth; I used two Tank Raised Perc.'s to cycle my tank and they are still fine to this day. They never seemed stressed during the cycle and their demeanor was the same. I paid 2 dollars more for the Perc.'s and I plan on keeping them. If I had used the Damsels I would have gotten rid of them when done cycling. Of course I never heard of the Shrimp thing.
To answer your question I would say they are pretty hardy.

K

krustytheclownfish

....as I was saying before it got edited out, there is a great article about using raw shrimp to cycle a tank at ANOTHER site. E-mail if you want the site as I guess I can't post it here. :rolleyes:
jrausch90@netscape.net

rmc

I agree 100% with The New Guy. I have used Perc.'s for over 15 years to cycle my tanks, and have never lost a Perc. durring a cycle. The pair I have now I have had for about 4 years and they most recently cycled my 150gRR about a year ago and are still in the tank and doing great. My very first tank I did start with Damsels and was faced with the same question of what to do with them.