Percula Pairing

kaotik

I wanted to see if anyone has any info/experience with pairing two wild caught true perculas. I have one now and he is about 1.5 inches in a 60gal tank. I was curious to see whether two will fight or if I could have a pair. I know they can change --- so I dont know if i necessarily need to find a male or female or if it will change later on?? Also, do i need to get another wild caught or would a 'tank raised' be better?

inkman2004

The main thing is if you can find a perc smaller than the one you have. I dont know about the differences between wild and tank raised. They may show a little aggression at first, they are usually just trying to determine who will run the show. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

speg

Well.. as far as tank raised and wild caught the tank raised have bands that do not fully go around the body (in most cases). I dont know if that may 'turn off' a potental mate.. but maybe it does.. I would try to get another wild if you already have one.
I just got another wild true perc today to try and mate with mine that has gotten established in the tank.. Things seem to be progressing normally.. when I first acclimated the new clown and released it into the tank he swam around a bit until he spotted the other clown... right away he swam down to the other clown and jumped right into the anemone (UH OH!).. the anemone started pulling its tentacles back because he wasnt used to this new clown obviously.. the clown didnt seem to have gotten stung.. but he musta. My established clown hasnt minded the new intruder much at all.. they already are swimming closely.. though recently the newer one has been staying a bit farther away from the established clown than when first introduced into the tank.. he shows a strange behavior when the established is close to him.. he quickly shakes his body like a dog that had just gotten wet.. and in return the other established clown will do the same... then run back to the anemone...
I purchased the smallest true perc at the LFS.. and in their tanks they looked like they were slightly smaller than the one I have.. but they are pretty much identical in size.. I am wondering if this is a reason why they seem like they are so easy to start pairing.
Also when I first introduced my established clown and his first 'mate' they entered my tank together along with the anemone at the same time (so all three at the same time). They swam close together right away.. but randomly would go into a lip-lock type of fight and swim around in circles.. they would literally bite each others mouths and swim in circles! Was very odd - though I have never tried to pair clown fish before.. so it may be a normal thing that I am just not used to :p
After about 2 weeks one clown entered the anemone and after another 3 days the other did.. though sadly one died to disease that even with all my best efforts I was unable to cure. I am hoping this new perc takes to the old one... let me know if anybody has seen this behavior!