Percula vs. Ocellaris

poop_head

I've tried doing some research on these two clowns and I'm a little confused. What is the difference of each? I've read that they just differ in the number of spines in the fin, black stripe thickness, and them some places like this website label them together and sell them as the same thing. I have a 10 gallon tank and I heard that percula would be better because they are smaller but I've read that they both get around 4 inches. I also wanted to get a pair. Would this be ok in a 10 or would I have to have a bigger tank for when they get larger? My lfs has ocellaris all the time and sometimes has perculas. I also read that the ocellaris develop faster so this is why they are more common. Would I be just as good getting an ocellaris now rather than wait for the same fish just a different name for later? Thanks

poop_head

Well I thought about it and I think by deduction I figured it out. It is better to go with the Perculas because they develop slower and thus will not have 2, 4 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank quickly? I dont know I could be incredibly wrong? Bangguy, mods, a little help here. Thanks

damselz

I have 2 Oci's and they are great. They tend to be cheaper and seem to be more hardy than the Perc's. From what I've read the differences are in the stripes and the eyes. Also most places sell tank raised Oci's so they adapt better than Perc's in a new tank. I don't see any reason to wait for the true Perc's unless you specifically want them.

g13

This is not the best example..........Maybe this might confuse you a lil but here goes....heres my pair of TRUE perculas

Here is my pair of (false perculas) ocellaris.....................

Does that help you out.......lol

azfishgal

Well I'm confused now. Are false percs the same as ocellaris? I have two false percs, at least that's what they were labeled in the lfs. And to confuse things more, what is the difference between a True Perc and a False Perc? :notsure:

ice4ice

False clownfish are Ocellaris clownfish ! If I were you I wouldn't do it 10G tank because your water parameters will not be very stable. A 10G tank require constant monitoring and almost guarantee a complete tank crash if you're not up to par. A simple 30G tank would be OK although a 46G or 55G is even better.
I believe true percs have more black bordering on the white bands than the Ocellaris clowns.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
False clownfish are Ocellaris clownfish ! If I were you I wouldn't do it 10G tank because your water parameters will not be very stable. A 10G tank require constant monitoring and almost guarantee a complete tank crash if you're not up to par. A simple 30G tank would be OK although a 46G or 55G is even better.
I believe true percs have more black bordering on the white bands than the Ocellaris clowns.
Thanks for clarifying.
And that's what I was thinking, true percs have more black. And whatever they are, I LOVE my new False Percs (Ocellaris). They are so fun to watch. :happyfish

ice4ice

No problem ! Glad to help out. Alot of people do get confused between the two species and really don't notice the difference.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Poop_heaD
Well I thought about it and I think by deduction I figured it out. It is better to go with the Perculas because they develop slower and thus will not have 2, 4 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank quickly? I dont know I could be incredibly wrong? Bangguy, mods, a little help here. Thanks
In my opinion the Percula is the only Clownfish that will consistently do well in a 10 gallon. They onle get to be about 2.5" usually so you won't have to worry about any 4" fish.

bang guy

I have a Nemo poster somewhere, I'll look closely. I believe Nemo depicted an Ocellaris Clownfish, not a Percula.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Bang Guy

I have a Nemo poster somewhere, I'll look closely. I believe Nemo depicted an Ocellaris Clownfish, not a Percula.
So a false perc?