Peroxide In A Tank

reefermon

I have been having a problem with ich in my tank. I have been using garlic extreme, some one told me to add a teaspoon of peroxide in the tank to clear the ich up. I have lr and coral in the tank I think that the peroxide will harm the coral and lr. What are your guys opinion on the hole peroxide thing yes or no???????? thanks for your info

reefkprz

Originally Posted by hot883
NO peroxide, see the disease threads to treat ICH.
I Agree NO peroxide. check disease and treatment forum and search for ich treament.

ophiura

Peroxide is sometimes used in aquaria, but it has potential problems. Regardless, peroxide is generally a bacterial/fungal treatment I should think - not really suitable for ick anyway...though it is probably considered. I'm not an expert on that though, but I don't recommend adding it.
And if you have an ick problem, you need to figure out why, or you may always have that problem.

ophiura

Terry D. Bartelme has written excellent articles on fish diseases (some of which are in our archives
). If you google his name and Cryptocaryon Irritans, I suspect you will find this article.
Studies to test the effectiveness and safety of hydrogen peroxide for the treatment of other ectoparasites such as Cryptocaryon irritans are fully warranted (Montgomery-Brock, D. et al., 2000). However, this treatment is considered to be highly experimental, therefore it cannot be recommended. The side effects and survival rate when using hydrogen peroxide may not prove to be acceptable. Protective clothing and safety glasses should be worn when using a dose of 35% and higher. The water temperature should be carefully monitored when treating with hydrogen peroxide, because it becomes more toxic as the temperature rises. At this point, the safety, effectiveness, correct dosage and duration of treatment for this experimental method have not been established.

chipmaker

Its a crap shoot with hydrogen peroxide. Stick with the tried and ture process to treat ich. I will say I swab ich spots or ulcerated spots on fish with HP and it works just fine for that purpose, and its good for reducing the effects ofpotassium permanganate.......The 3% which is commonly found in grocery and

[hr]
is fine......It would be hard for most to acquire anything over 20% without jumping through lots of hoops and lots of bell ringing. I know what process you speak of to treat Ich with HP but would not feel confortable repeating it here as others stated already it is not a tried and sure method.

bojik

A FW dip can help control it. For sturdy reasonably healthy fish ONLY. It makes them let loose of the fish. Works the other way for FW fish too. BUT you should treat the tank.