pert' near died

kyaney

Yesterday when I got home from work, I quickly noticed that the water level in my tank was down about 4 inches, which means that the pump shut down for some reason.
I have an ecosystem in the basement that pumps the water up to my 90 in my den.
Once in awhile a chunk of something gets caught in the pump and I have it set up so that the power shuts off if that happens.
Anyways, I turned the power back on and, as I have done 100 times out of a 100, went to put my hand in the water to clear the opening to the pump. I just happened to notice (don't know why) that the light on the heater was flickering.
For some reason the glass on the heater had broken and the bare heating element was buzzing in the water.
So here I was, about to put my hand in a tank full of water, standing in my sandles on a wet floor. Seriously, I came about 1/8 of an inch from putting my hand in.
I have treated many patients that have been electrocuted, and I know for a fact that I would have been either seriously injured or killed.
Crazy, ey?
That's the good news. The ad news is that I lost about half of my soft corals, three starfish, 2 clams, my entire clean-up crew, and 3 hard corals. I'm sure that they all got zapped.
But I guess better them then me.

dark angel

Wow, thats what i call a close call for sure. Glad you didnt get your hand in there, but so sorry to hear about your loss.