Pet store problem, Tell me if im wrong. Please.

ctgretzky9

We have all had fatalities. It is part of the hobby, an unfortunate part.
After 4 days, if the fish dies, it is most likely due to conditions in the tank. But even with the benefit of the doubt, and the tank is pristine, expecting to be refunded the money after 4 days is pushing it.
Could have been the fish was cyanide caught, could have been overstressed in the car ride, could have been the over acclimation-4 hrs is a bit much-what method of acclimation did you use by the way? You wrote: "it was properly acclimated (4 hours) and no light for a day...so i made sure that everything was done correctly,...even placed a heater in with the fish while acclimating to make sure that the temp was the same when he entered his new home." Were you acclimating in a bucket with the drip method?
The fish could have been stressed in the tank by other inhabitants, the chemistry difference could have been too much, way too many factors, and again, 4 days later points in a direction I can't blame ont he store.
I think getting your credit card company to refund was basically stealing.
If you have spent that much $ in the past ($1500?) then they must have been doing something right. Granted, I would have had you bring in your tank water for testing and then made a decision, but it is generally understood in this hobby that you look for healthy fish at the store, and that is where the store's responsibility ends.

ophiura

It is really important to know how long the fish was at the store. For example, most shipping mortality actually occurs 48-72 hours after arrival in the store, basically after adrenaline wears off and bammo, the fish dies. So never buy, IMO, a new arrival at the store.
However, IMO, ultimately the RISK is taken by the hobbyist, and there is no obligation by the LFS to give you a refund or anything. Its the business, and I would imagine that a credit card company knows little about it. Its not "hey I bought this MP3 player and it was broken in the box and they won't take it back." Different issues entirely, IMO.

danedodger

I guess vendor is the wrong word. Manufacture is more apropriate. The owner of the LFS I work at submitted a product to ***** to be carried, the only way they would agree to the contract is if he took liability for it. Even though he had sustainability research, product variability rates, the whole bit. You can not tell me a behemoth like ***** takes too much of a loss in this respect. Even if you do take a big loss on situations like this, your inflexible return policy makes up for it. Maybe your store is an exception, but its just that, an exception to a general trend.
Aahhh ok I see. I'll readily admit that I can't fathom how they decide what products to carry and such. I actively discourage some of the products we carry like shock collars for example.
Big businesses do have problems, I know, and I won't try to defend them on that note. The only thing I can say for certain is every day I go to work I hope that I'm part of a solution to it to some degree.

acrylic300

I recently made the best mistake of my life when it comes to fish. I went in at closing time and impulse bought 3 Chromis 7 bucks each one was under a rock and I never got a chance to see it swim. One week later it was obvious that the fish is blind or something so I took it back to the store.
She says $1 back or 1/2 off on another Chromis and I say no it's a gift...you sold it to me this way...I want you to have it.
It's my fault for not observing the fish....I was mad as hell that she didn't offer me all of my money back.
Now I have some time to think about it and cool off.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by crzyfshygy
There needs to be a "new age" in SWF purchases. I hate to say it but it needs to happen. These LFS need to work this out with there vendors. They would see more business that way. I have a LFs inmy area called BIG ALS and there tanks are filled with dead corals and if you do not know anybetter you will purchase one just like me. I demanded a cash refund and got it on a dead Monti. I also bought 2 black clowns there that had ich and returned them both. Thats why I go back. When I have a bad experience like at the BARRIER REEF.......I talk about it. No one should shop there!!!!!! They are all Idiots and DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER. I have spent thousands in there and they gave me a huge problem when they oversold me on equipment. Thay would not return it!
Thats why it important to know this hobby!!!!!! Even if it break 2 weeks later they will do nothin....they will make you call the manufactuer. Thats not how you do business!

Echo that note on the Barrier Reef in Boca. Terrible customer service. I bought my nano cube dx from them and the light was broken. The co that makes the tank said to take it back to the store. They gave me a real big hassle. Told me that they would not change it again no matter what i was told by the manufacture. Terrible customer service. DO NOT SHOP THERE! I was bummed cuz they had a great selection that was until i found big als. I like big als. There is usually one person that knows something in each dept. But they have the best selection of any store.

N

nuddybuddy

how does that credit card deal work!! I bought some sand and misc. and tried to take it back. the guy that sold it to me said "bring it back if it is too much, and we'll refund you. BS they only gave me store credit. I argued w/them they said no cash refunds.

elvictre

OK I'm very bored at work and I read this entire thread. IMO if the LFS says verbally that they do not guarantee livestock and you already knew that then asking your CC for the money back was wrong. They have a policy and you circumvented it, but that is my opinion. As far as guaranteeing livestock, My LFS doesn't guarantee anything either. I know the ***** near me also doesn't, but I never use them because of there inexperience. I know someone here commented on *****...but they are all different and the one near me has new kids working every time I go there and they have no clue as to what they are doing. What I think you should of done was go back to the store with the dead fish and a sample of your water and speak to a manager. I would of explained how much you have spent there over the last 6 months and that you will take your business elsewhere if they feel they do not want to compensate you somewhat. I think that is fair. Also if you spent that kind of money there in 6 months how bad can this store be? You seem to be knocking them. But to have one $63 fatality in $1400 worth of business doesn't seem like a bad percentage to me. I think you are speaking out of anger more then anything else.
Vic

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Jer4916
There prices are not my problem, them selling me a fish that is sick is my problem. i believe they should cover it..and so they had to...they were forced to.
i shopped there because i saw a fish i liked, i had studied and wanted for my tank..the fish appeared healthy in the store...got home...not so healthy.
You either wasn't looking hard enough while you were at the store, or it may have gotten stressed and sick on the way home. I've done that once before and it costed me big time. I still say it's not the LFS's fault!!! Let's stop this thread already, I kept on getting e-mailed on this issue, let's get over it!
:happyfish

krazekajin

I have been in this only a very short time, but I did buy a yellow tang from *****, it lived and is doing very well, but I also bought a peppermint shrimp. Because I really wanted the peppermint shrimp I took it even though the idiot who bagged it dropped the entire bag with shrimp five feet onto the hard floor. I know that I should have said forget it, but like a dummy I took it knowing their no guarantee and it died overnight. ***** has too many people working who are not in the hobby, so thier advice stinks.
On the other hand, I go to a LFS and they work with me. There was one time when I only had a discover card on me and bought about 60 bucks worth only to find that they did not accept discover, so they just gave me the stuff and told me to settle up with them ASAP. I did that and we have a great relationship. They already know me by name and they answer all of my questions.
And they enjoy my two year old coming in and they do not freak out if he taps a fish tank. I am trying to teach him that hitting fish tanks is BADDDDD!

nomad

I bought 2 yashi gobis from Aqua Dome, but while being caught 1 fish decided to take a flying leap of 1 1/2 stories onto concrete. The store owner collected the fish who seemed to be OK, told me the fish had a 7 day warrenty if I still wanted to try him, so I took him. I've done lots of business with Aqua Dome and been very happy. I put both fish in QT, the first day the larger fish bit the dorsal thread off the smaller fish, but otherwise there was no physical confrontations between the 2 fish. To get to the end of the story, both fish ended up perfectly healthy. I keep them in QT for 8 wks just to be sure that I could keep a very close eye on them and would be able to see any injury/infection. Those guys are tough little fish! I really appreciate Aqua Dome's attitude and warranty.

oceana

i only have read the first post and then sklimmed the replys btu for me its like this
they are in the right you are in the wrong. can you imagine how many newbe tank owners would be bringing back stuff all the time if they had a 4day return policy
now maybe your not new to the hobby but they cant make a rule for just you.
my guess is that they have there return policy posted all over the store. most LFS do.
in our neck of the woods here in florida it works like this.
bring a dead fish back to the store. bring a water sample. and the receipt.
if all test are good and the fish does not look like it was eaten or attacked to death they will replace HALF of the fish value the FIRST time only. i think this is very fair. just read around this board and look at all the really stupid stuff people are doing. then times that by like a 1000 for all the stuff we dont even know about. LFS would never be able to stay in business with full return policys on live stock. there are way to many things out of there control once the fish leaves the door.
with all that said 1400 bucks is nothing to spend in a LFS IMO. you can spend that just by purchasing a tank alone. but as a business minded person i would have simply traded out the fish for you. the fish would have cost me nearly nothing to replace and i would have kept a customer. but this question was about right and wrong not ethics. so i still say you lose this one