PETSMART???

L

lexatomic

Does anyone's PETSMART sell salt water fish? I have recently discovered that PETSMART has better deal that ***** from time to time. Is my PETSMART just lame, or is this the case in all PETSMARTS? And if so, why?

bdubbya

Petmart's don't sell saltwater fish, there was a post about this not long ago maybe check the search feature. It will give better answers than I can give.

wagirl81

Hi,
I used to work for Petsmart, and their official stance is that they don't condone the illegal harvesting of corals and live fish.
Truthfully, it's more along the lines of costs associated with maintaining them in their stores. Most, if not all Petsmarts, tank systems are all run off of one major filter unit. So we all used to think that it wouldn't have been cost effective for them to sell saltwater fish. That and the fact that they are harder to keep...
I used to hear that some stores down south, like in Texas maybe, would have little display type tanks of saltwater, but that's about it.

ironreef

Originally posted by wagirl81:
<strong>Hi,
I used to work for Petsmart.</strong><hr></blockquote>Which one did you work at???

ya mon petsmart doesn't sell any saltwater fishies.. i was there couple of days ago looking for sum pleco's for my 36 fresh.. and all the water is cloudy in the tanks.. and i asked about it and he said that it's ok the fish are ok wit it.... then i saw bunches of food in one tank with sum goramies and the guy said that they costumers must have feed them when an emploee(sp) wasn't around... no affence to petsmart this has never happened before that i've know of.. but to answer your question,, nope they do't sell SWF..

class clown

<strong>Hi,
I used to work for Petsmart, and their official stance is that they don't condone the illegal harvesting of corals and live fish.
Truthfully, it's more along the lines of costs associated with maintaining them in their stores.</strong><hr></blockquote>
The latter must be true. If they don't condone illegal harvesting then why do they sell saltwater supplies? If they really were so environmentally concious they shouldn't hesitate to carry saltwater fish. They could carry only captive bred and/or raised fish & corals and, being the large corporation they are, make a noticeable impact on the hobby's questionable collection methods.

piscesblue

Mine just started selling some saltwater supplies 3 months ago. They only have a few light bulbs and some chemicals. Nothing to bring in customers.

susiepan

The Petsmart by me doesnt sell Saltwater Fish, but they do have lots of Saltwater fish supplies//I find for the supplies they are MUCH cheaper than *****...even online you can get some great deals from them
~Susie ;)

A

aqua_man

The Petsmart here sales saltwater fish and supplies. I bought my first Damsel there.

ironreef

<strong>I used to work at the Puyallup location a while ago</strong><hr></blockquote>
What kinda corals you keeping? I have a 120g reef= by Auburn/Pacific area

Originally posted by Class Clown:
<strong>
The latter must be true. If they don't condone illegal harvesting then why do they sell saltwater supplies? If they really were so environmentally concious they shouldn't hesitate to carry saltwater fish. They could carry only captive bred and/or raised fish & corals and, being the large corporation they are, make a noticeable impact on the hobby's questionable collection methods.</strong><hr></blockquote>
money.

wagirl81

We don't have any corals yet because our tank is only 2 months old.
What's your favorite lfs to buy corals at?

ironreef

My favortie is the one I find what i'm looking for :) But i go to Bule siera, saltwater city lfs. What kind of corals you gonna keep?= softies,lps , sps and what types are you looking for?

wagirl81

Honestly, we're not even sure yet! Ones that appeal to us I guess. We're just getting an idea of what we like, and trying to have patience to let the tank fully mature first before we buy anything. Any recommendations are appreciated. :)