pH/Alk relationship

cprdnick

Can you tell the condition of your Alk by checking the pH? I don't have a Alkalinity test kit and I don't have the money to pay the LFS to test for it. I am wanting to dose my Ca but I don't want to do it too much because I don't know where my Alk is at. I currently am using IO salt and I've been getting extremely high readings with the Alk kit I used to have, so I know it's not too low just yet, and my pH is at a constant 8.2.

attml

Although Alk and CA are linked it is possible for the two to be fairly far apart from each other. Sometimes this can be caused by a low concentration of Magnesium. It is a good idea to test both. You can usually get a CA test kit for arounf $10-11. Also,
keep an eye on the ALK.
There have been several users that have had Alk levels go through the roof as a result of a bad batch of salt!

beaslbob

if your ph drops I think that means you alk is basically gone. But better to get a test kit.
you could dose calc then buffering if the ph drops. but again better to get the test kit.
or you could just let your system run. Things usually have a means of adjusting themselves.

cprdnick

That's what I'm trying to do, my coraline was starting to go pretty good up until a few months ago, that's why I bought the B-Ionic supplement.
If I can't afford to pay my LFS $2.00 to test Alk, then I can't afford a ALK test kit for "only" $10-12.

jpawson

The hobby really is a money pit.
MH Bulbs,VHO bulbs,RO Filters, Test Kits...and those are just the scheduled expenses.