PH & Alkalinity

zanybees

Ok, I have searched the MB to find an answer to my question and cant find much that fits exactly. Can anyone tell me how to lower the PH in my tank and also the Alkalinity. They are both off the charts and water changes dont seem to make a difference. I am looking for something quick to fix the problem. Anyone have any Ideas? My Hardness is over the top also but that doesnt seem to bother my fish, my nitrates, and nitrites are real good. This really confuses me!!! :confused:

bang guy

IMO don't try to artificially alter your PH. It's just a symptom that something's wrong. In this case it sounds like your ALK is off.
Have you tested the water you're using for water changes? Also, list all of your additives.

zanybees

about 2 weeks ago I added some ammonia detox to lower my ammonia count - worked well so I didnt have to treat it for that since. Yes I have tested the water I am using for changes and seems to be good and also My Alkalinity is very high too! Tell me this, If my alkalinity is lowered will it change my PH? (forgive me, I am still learning):notsure:

bang guy

If the ALK of your change water is fine (you didn't tell me what the level was) then continue the water changes to lower it in your display tank.

anenewbie

I could be way off here but can't trace elements used for enhanced algae growth throw your PH and Alkalinity out of whack? It seems to me that I read that when investing what supplements to use.