PH Drop...can someone help? Bang?

sal713

I'm starting to see the PH climb from the air hose to the skimmer. Hopefully it will keep going.
Thanks for understanding Bang. Some times its hard to say no thanks without sounding nasty or insulting.

stonynut

glad its working out for ya... as alluded to by bang (and for anyone else considering this)... ya gotta be sure that the extended airline has a diameter that supports the airflow of the skimmer without restriction. otherwise, you will lose skimmer performance.
also be careful where the line goes outta the house. you want it in a protected area (you can even build a little carbon box around it if ya want). you dont want any nasties from the outside making it into your tank. if you have routine exterior pest control service... imagine the horror of that extended airline being exposed to pest treatment.
beyond all of that... once again, glad its working for ya.

symon

HEy think about the old window shakers, you always had to use foil tape to make them seal up right! My point being, run a hose to the closest window, crack the window , fill in the space with a piece or wood and use the foil tape to seal it all in place! Now you can keep your ac on and get a breath of fresh air to your skimmer

escape2thewater

Originally Posted by The reef
just open a window closest to the tank as posible
could also set a fan right by the window to get the freash air to blow in more as well

Well I have proven this method to myself today. I ran a fan in front of an open window in the room my tank is in for about 6 hours today and it made a difference in my ph. The ph in my tank went from 7.8 to 8.0 before the lights were on, then from 8.0 to 8.2 a couple hours after the lights came on. Thats all the proof I need!

Escape
ps - it wasnt too hot here today and a little bit breezy so I couild do this!

the reef

Originally Posted by escape2thewater
Well I have proven this method to myself today. I ran a fan in front of an open window in the room my tank is in for about 6 hours today and it made a difference in my ph. The ph in my tank went from 7.8 to 8.0 before the lights were on, then from 8.0 to 8.2 a couple hours after the lights came on. Thats all the proof I need!

Escape
ps - it wasnt too hot here today and a little bit breezy so I couild do this!
even if it is hot it wouldent hurt to do this maybe half hour to an hour every day to let build up co2 excape your home another thing that would help if you could get a few live plants in a close room where the tank is the plants consume some of the co2 and if you could put a tree inside your house this would be very aficent lol just kidding '
'
but you see if you could put some plant life in your sump as well this would help take away some of the co2 and also a light over the sump when the other lights go out will consume the co2