PH drop????

aldog51

Why does my PH drop dramatically in a couple of days. itook a measurement of 7.4 a couple of hours ago before adding a PH/alkalinty buffer to bring it back to 8.0-8.2 My calcium level tests at 400PPM Everything is is in check as well. I leave my Fuge light on 24 hours.

jauringer

for your Ph to be that low. KH would most likely be the problem. readings need to be between 7 - ~11. Alkalinity is a very important part of keeping a reef tank.

aldog51

I just ordered a kent marine 2 part calcium/alkalinity buffer. and an alkalinity test kit also a copper kit.

jauringer

no problem. you may want to just use a regular powder buffer to raise your KH to an acceptable level and then use the two part additive to maintain it. you will need to monitor KH daily untill you can find the right portions of the 2 parter to maintain your current levels. be sure to add the two part buffer in the morning. the KH portion has an extremely high PH. you don't want to overshoot your ideal PH range -7.8-8.5. KH will be consumed at a much faster rate than calcium, so you won't need to test for CA as much. Another thing to keep in mind, is that unless your using a PH probe, it is hard to get accurate results from a colormetric test kit. 7.4 sounds really low. I have a feeling its not as bad as you think. Live rock can start to disolve and a PH that low.