Ph Drop??

mpls man

Originally Posted by jonnywater
Wasnt talking to you. Calm down. You want me to call anyone for you?
sorry for jumping the gun... thought it was meant for me

mpls man

Originally Posted by ctgretzky9
Your parameters look good!
Raising pH is best done, safely and without throwing things out of whack by correct water changes.(24 hr circulation at correct SG/salinity...) I have learned this over time by doing everything else-adding buffer to raise it etc...only to have problems with alkalinity, then calcium, then precipitaion events, magnesium problems etc....With proper water changes, I was able to raise pH with no ill effects, and keeping all related parameters in check.
12 gal is fine as a water change for a 75...
You can leave your alk right where it is, whatever you are doing seems to be working as your numbers are good. Everyone's tank is different, go by what is happening in your tank.
Dont do anything with mag until you test for it. Chances are it will be in line considering your other numbers.
CTGRETZKY
Thanks for the help in clarifying everything what i've been doing. the only question i have is if you cant lower the calc to raise the ph .. should i try using baking soda to raise just the ph? my calc has always been at least 460 , from what i understand that is a good level to be at, or is there another ph buffer i can use to bring it back up to 8.3-8.4.
thank you all for the help.. i did purchase a red sea mag kit, i not sure whether i did it right though?

ophiura

Basically, baking soda, like other buffers, is still an alkalinity buffer.
IMO if your pH is 8.0 and it is stable, I see no reason to make any changes whatsoever, IMO. I have measured seawater in the ocean at 7.8

O

oreo12

I though that some live rock will help keep the ph at the 8.2 level. Do you have live rock? How much in what size tank? You might want to look into that along with your substrate. any more natural way would be best. My ph allways stays up I have lots of rock.

mpls man

in my 75 i have about 100-125 lbs of rock and about 10 lbs in the refugium, dont think that would be a problem? the salt is IO, i have a ro/di filter that automatically tops off the water though, otherwise it's just 12 gallon water changes with my own mixing of the water..
thanks for the help.

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by MPLS MAN
CTGRETZKY
Thanks for the help in clarifying everything what i've been doing. the only question i have is if you cant lower the calc to raise the ph .. should i try using baking soda to raise just the ph? my calc has always been at least 460 , from what i understand that is a good level to be at, or is there another ph buffer i can use to bring it back up to 8.3-8.4.
thank you all for the help.. i did purchase a red sea mag kit, i not sure whether i did it right though?

I believe baking soda is still basically a buffer...Guy or someone would know more about using bs, as I have no experience directly with using it, and I dont want to give you bad advice...sorry.
Your pH of 8 is fine. Dont go crazy chasing numbers. Better to keep it stable. If you want to rais eit a bit, do it by adding possibly another water change (twice a week, for maybe 2 weeks in a row) of properly mixed 24 hour salt water. Check pH before you do the change. It should more than likely be around 8.2 with Instant ocean...I use the same salt. And 460 is fine for calcium.
I think mine is the same mag test kit...comes in a white plastic case? lol..I have so many friggin tets kits i lose track of the manufacturers! Anyway, took me a couple of attempts....keep in mind on that test kit (if the same as mine) that the final color yu want to acheive does NOT match up with the one printed. I found this out by testing the test kit with the reagent included to validate test. The color they show is way too dark in print. I was getting readings when I first did it of like 2400 and the color still didnt match!
Now I get the results I was more expecting. Do the validation, and check the color and keep it in mind, then test your water again.

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by ophiura
Basically, baking soda, like other buffers, is still an alkalinity buffer.
IMO if your pH is 8.0 and it is stable, I see no reason to make any changes whatsoever, IMO. I have measured seawater in the ocean at 7.8

Thanks oph...I wasnt sure about the bs...

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by oreo12
I though that some live rock will help keep the ph at the 8.2 level. Do you have live rock? How much in what size tank? You might want to look into that along with your substrate. any more natural way would be best. My ph allways stays up I have lots of rock.

hmmmm....i dont think the lr itself helps keep the parameters in check, but it is interesting to think that because of the biological aspects of the lr, it could make a difference in retrospect...this is somethig I think being minor to keeping pH in check, compared to the more important aspects that we normally think of, but it is a good point.

ophiura

Dont go crazy chasing numbers.

Some of the best advice out there, IMO.

As for the baking soda, when you are trying to control alkalinity and buffer HUGE systems...a hundred thousand gallons, for example, it is the only cost effective option
We'd get huge bags of the stuff.

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by ophiura
Some of the best advice out there, IMO.

As for the baking soda, when you are trying to control alkalinity and buffer HUGE systems...a hundred thousand gallons, for example, it is the only cost effective option
We'd get huge bags of the stuff.

lmao...yea, i guess b-ionic or kents would kinda get expensive!

O

oreo12

hmmmm....i dont think the lr itself helps keep the parameters in check, but it is interesting to think that because of the biological aspects of the lr, it could make a difference in retrospect...this is somethig I think being minor to keeping pH in check, compared to the more important aspects that we normally think of, but it is a good point.
Why i was checking out some base rock I found a web site that sales it actuly quite a few sites and they said that this rock dry brought out of hawwi would help maintane the ph in your salt water tank. My ph was low in the new 55 untill I added some base rock That I bought from a guy that was takeing down his tank anyway the ph is up fine now so that is where I got that info. May just be something they say to sell there rock.

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by oreo12
Why i was checking out some base rock I found a web site that sales it actuly quite a few sites and they said that this rock dry brought out of hawwi would help maintane the ph in your salt water tank. My ph was low in the new 55 untill I added some base rock That I bought from a guy that was takeing down his tank anyway the ph is up fine now so that is where I got that info. May just be something they say to sell there rock.

Your last sentance is correct. More than likely your tank was already heading for stability, and/or you knew more of what was nessecary to keep pH in check. I say it was probably just coincidental timing for the most part.
I am still not discounting that more lr could help stabilize pH. I have never seen any experiments on this subject, so I am not going to discount it at all.