pH Fluctuations?

estein02

I know...another pH question...sorry, but mine tested really low this morning at about 7.9. Typically it has been in the 8.2 - 8.4 range. This is the first time that I have tested my water this early in the morning, but the range of 7.9 to 8.4 seem severe. My other parameters are normal...Ammonia, Trites and Trates are all at 0ppm. Temp is 80 which is a little higher then the 78 I like to keep it at, but I am working on that. I haven't added any buffers to the tank, my skimmer seems to be working fine as do the rest of the equipment. I know that the pH fluctuates during the course of a day but 8.4 down to 7.9 concerns me.
Currently, all I have in the tank is my CUC, and they seem to be doing fine too. Any thoughts?

TIA

kynekke

I read somewhere on here that pH changes as the lights are on. So check pH the same time each day for accurate readings.

estein02

I've read that too, but I've also read that a fluctuation of more then .2 over the course of a 24 hour period is too much. I just want to be sure that there is nothing to worry about, or if there is something I should do to try to correct it.
Thanks

hatessushi

Originally Posted by estein02
I've read that too, but I've also read that a fluctuation of more then .2 over the course of a 24 hour period is too much. I just want to be sure that there is nothing to worry about, or if there is something I should do to try to correct it.
Thanks
A reading of 7.9 is not really low. Please understand that Ph should be kept as stable as possible. A swing of more than .2 in a 24 hr. period is probably worse then having the pH at 7.9. Ocean water pH runs anywhere from 7.6 in the open sea to 8.4 in the reef areas. The average is 7.8. Most people keep their tanks at 8.2. to 8.4 (usually home reef systems). The most important thing is stability. At night when the lights are out the photosynthesis stops and the pH will tend to go down. When the lights come on the photosynthesis starts agin and draws the pH up. Mine swings about .1 to .175 in either direction. after a water change it changes less the .1 in a 24 hr period and lasts a few days.
Make sure your tank is able to exchange gases by being open (no glass cover) and that you have really good circulation will all help.
A change from 7.9 to 8.4 is alot over a 24 hr. period so you might look at what's happening at night to draw it down (circulation gas exchange.)

estein02

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
A reading of 7.9 is not really low. Please understand that Ph should be kept as stable as possible. A swing of more than .2 in a 24 hr. period is probably worse then having the pH at 7.9. Ocean water pH runs anywhere from 7.6 in the open sea to 8.4 in the reef areas. The average is 7.8. Most people keep their tanks at 8.2. to 8.4 (usually home reef systems). The most important thing is stability. At night when the lights are out the photosynthesis stops and the pH will tend to go down. When the lights come on the photosynthesis starts agin and draws the pH up. Mine swings about .1 to .175 in either direction. after a water change it changes less the .1 in a 24 hr period and lasts a few days.
Make sure your tank is able to exchange gases by being open (no glass cover) and that you have really good circulation will all help.
A change from 7.9 to 8.4 is alot over a 24 hr. period so you might look at what's happening at night to draw it down (circulation gas exchange.)
Thank you HatesSushi...
Unfortunately, I have to keep a cover on my tank (have a cat that likes to jump on top of things) and I feel more comfortable with a glass top then an egg crate. I believe that I do have pretty good circulation, maybe the addition of another small PH directed toward the top of the tank would help. What do you think?

hatessushi

Another pH couldn't hurt and might help. Can't you use an egg crate weighted down with something so the cat can't catch sushi?

michaeltx

the added flow wont hurt anything.
do you have a sump or fuge?
if you do the alternate your lighting when the display is on the fuge is off and when the display is off the fuge is on. This will help keep the flucuations in check.
Mike

estein02

Guess I could try. Cat hair falling into the tank can't hurt anything...can it? Do you know if Home Depot sells the egg crate?

hatessushi

Home depot sells it. I got a sheet for around $9 and cut it to size. Cat hair should not hurt anything as long as there is no flea chemicals on the cat like a flea collar. If you brush the cat at least once a week then the shedding should lessen.

estein02

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
the added flow wont hurt anything.
do you have a sump or fuge?
if you do the alternate your lighting when the display is on the fuge is off and when the display is off the fuge is on. This will help keep the flucuations in check.
Mike
I have a sump...no fuge yet. There is compartment in the sump that I can make into a fuge but, honestly, I haven't even thought about doing that yet. So, at this point, the only lighting I have is the lighting for the DT.
I guess I will try the additional PH and replace the glass top with the egg crate to see if that helps. So far the inverts that I have as part of my CUC seem to be doing very well so, at this point, the fluctuation doesn't seem to be affecting them. Actually, they seem to be thriving, eating like crazy and growing.
Guess I should also look into adding a fuge with a light. thanks again for all of the help.