ph high ...help

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bellebelle
the ph of 8.3 is in my dt not my qt. which was 7.7 -7.8..which is what I'm having the problem with because I'm doing hypo now ....
Ok, Belle, spell this out for me because we seem to be missing each other here. If the PH of your qt was low (7.7-7.8) but your source water is brought DOWN to 8.3 by you salt (which realy makes no sense being salt has a buffer). You are in hyposalinity which means you add LESS salt, so how did your PH drop even lower if your source water has a higher ph BEFORE your salt is added?????

reefeel

You must have added a lot of base of some sort to cause the buffer to start to wonder out of the center of its equilibrium all the way towards a pH of 9. Is there any ammonia in the tank, ammonia is basic and might add to the problem

bellebelle

I have just lost a fish...my favorite
The only thing that I know to do is to start increasing the salinty tomorrow slowly...over a week and watch for ick. I think I may get out of saltwater this is too heartbreaking. My fish have been in hypo for several weeks now. I really am disgusted right now.

sepulatian

I have just lost a fish...my favorite
The only thing that I know to do is to start increasing the salinty tomorrow slowly...over a week and watch for ick. I think I may get out of saltwater this is too heartbreaking.
You will have devastating results if you stop the hypo now. You just started salt. Believe me, I have been where you are now. I lost several beloved fish including the beauty in my avatar. You will get this. And you will be surprised at how quickly you learn!!!! You can do this and we will help you along the way. It just seems hard now. Please trust me, it gets easier with knowledge!!!

sepulatian

We have to figure out why the ph is so high. I don't understand why. Make up some water at 1.009 without adding a buffer and then post the ph for us. You can't drop the ph quickly, it has to be slow.

sepulatian

What do I do now...I'm soo confused. ok made a small amt . sal 1.005 ph 8.7
You are using ro water? I am wondering why your qt water was 7.8 What does your display water read? Hm I have another thought. Do you mix your water for 24-48hrs to allow it to completely have a gas exchange? It will have a high ph when first put in the fresh water. Like I said before, the salt mix has the buffer in it. It has to be thoroughly mixed before going ino the tank. Did you mix it well before adding it to the tank (that could explain the drop, then you thought you needed buffer)

bellebelle

As of right now the ph in my qt has stablized to 8.3...I'm leaving it alone and will just check it. Thanks for all your help !!!!

sepulatian

As of right now the ph in my qt has stablized to 8.3...I'm leaving it alone and will just check it. Thanks for all your help !!!!
Ok, if your RO water has a ph of 9 then don't use that for top offs for the qt while in hypo. It is a small tank, pick up a couple of gallons of distilled water and check the ph. Adjust it to 8.3. Keep us posted