PH is 8.2

ntvflgirl

Nothing wrong with 8.2. I'd be worried if I had 7.4!! But maybe they have a good reason. I guess somethings have different needs. I think you're fine.

S

simm

8.2 is not bad at all. Most people keep them between 8.2 - 8.4 7.4 is a bit low. Most inverts require a higher ph than that.

bigfishy

ok thanks a lot guys I was worried for a min. I just added 3 damsels last night to start the cycle, one of them died and I was testing the water to make sure everything was alright with it. The one damsel seems to be breathing pretty hard and looks a little stressed, any ideas?

kpogue

Between 8.2 - 8.3 is really the best. Everybody is happy within those ranges. I'm not trying to be a SA or anything, but if you're not familiar with what your params should fall within, perhaps you should do a bit more reading and research on the subject.

ophiura

Sounds like you know about freshwater systems, based on your pH comment. I agree that you need to go real slow and do a lot of reading...these are totally different hobbies, with the exception of how to start a siphon :D
Something is wrong if a damsel dies immediately and another is stressed. What is your specific gravity, and temp? How did you add them to the tank? Do some searches here on cycling a tank, because 1) you don't need to use damsels and 2) if you are, you expect and/or want them to die, and they are left in the tank to, well, rot. In such a case, 3 damsels are usually not considered to be enough, unless you are throwing in loads of food. In which case, leave the damsels at the store and just throw in loads of food. All you are aiming for is ammonia, and there are many ways to get it.
Definitely make use of online resources and do a lot of reading.

bigfishy

Well I just kinda tossed the damsels in the tank. lol I guess maybe that was a stupid idea, but too late now. The two seem to be doing fine now. One of the replies said that 3 damsels are not enough, but I have been told in the past that one shrimp would be fine or a couple of damsels. in any case I finnaly found a tropical fish store in my area and I will be adding some live rock tomorrow which should start the cycle off without a problem. Any thoughts before I do this?
Will be 25 or 50 lbs to start

In a 75g you will get the ammonia, but not much filtration. There will be some, but you will want a good skimmer or other filtration device to help with the bioload. I personally run about 250# in my 75g. Just for comparisons sake. The "rule" seems to be at least 1#/gallon. This is one of the most expensive parts of the startup costs !!! Also, what is your substrate ? LS, Southdown ?

my levels have not budged in like 2 months now. I am starting to get concerned about swimming room though. It's not too crowded, but a tang would probably not be happy...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you were going to get LR, then you didn't need to sacrifice fish to begin a cycle.
Do your damsels a favor and return them to the LFS. The live rock by itself will cycle your tank. You can feed the LR, because it too as many organisms. Once the tank completes a cycle, then start adding fish.

jja

I agree with beth. I put most of my liverock in and ran the tank for 2 months before then brought my water to the lfs and was able to put fish in that I still have now over a year later. I put in 2 false percs. and a cleaner shrimp, then waited 2 weeks and put in a small sailfin tang-I still have all three of these fish. Tossing in damsels doesn't do anything unless you plan on keeping them.