PH Issues with chemipure elite?

luvmyreef

Hey guys/gals...Little problem here...Two days ago I did a 20% water change on my 75 gal and switched from chemipure to the elite. Yesterday my Miami hurricane zoas looked bad...tested PH..7.6 around 1pm. Took measures to correct. This am all zoas look bad...tested everything..here goes
75 g (yes it is covered) been up and running for 5 years.
Temp-77
Ph-7.6 again
salinity-1.024
KH-10
Calcium-440
amm-0
nitrite-0
nitrate <5
Any ideas why my ph dropped again? The only thing I changed was the chemipure to the elite. and recently changed my carbon and micro filters in my ro/di unit. I run a skimmer and filter with just carbon.

B

bwiele

Not to derail your thread, but is your picture beside your name taken at The Reef? Between your alias and the word paradise beside it, they look like strong hints. If you don't want to post publicly, my e-mail is brian.wiele@gmail.com. Sorry for the intrusion!

luvmyreef

Ha Ha actually no....the pic was taken in Maui, Hawaii from the balcony of Kaanapali Shores Resort on our 2007 trip. Loved it so much, we're going back in 2010!!!

spanko

Since it is getting on to winter now, don't know where you are located, we are closing up our houses tighter. This could increase CO2 in the house. This may affect the Ph in our tanks. A quick check of this would be to take a sample of your tank water, check and record the Ph, then put the samply outside for an hour or so and recheck. If the Ph rises then you may have an air exchange problem in the house.

luvmyreef

Thanks henry. I will try that. I removed the chemipure elite this am...and the zoas are looking better now. Just wondering if the ferric oxide in it would of caused my problem. chemipure states on their bottle that it will buffer your ph, well it buffered mine lower from what I can tell. Wont be using the elite anymore, I will go back to the the plain chemipure.
thanks for the response.

spanko

I use the Elite and have been since about 7 months after starting the tank and have not had a problem like you have. IDK.

luvmyreef

Not sure Henry...but I just ran the tests again (used two new kits) at they say 7.8 on my 75 and this new nano I am playing with.
But (insert the lightbulb here) I remember that I opened a new bag of salt with this water change......I need to test the ph on a new batch next week when I make up more water. so maybe it wasnt the chemipure after all....

luvmyreef

Well, I just needed to update. When the PH dropped, I removed the chemipure elite,and things have gotten better. My ph is now 8.1 w/o any help (buffers, etc.). I just made a fresh batch of saltwater and the ph is good. so it wasnt the salt mix!! My conclusion is that indeed it was the chemipure elite. WEIRD! So, I will continue to only use the regular chemipure.