ph levels

I have a low ph, or so i think... its either 7.4 or lower....
All other tests come out perfect, and the salinity is at 1.0215
What could be wrong, and how can i fix it

mkroher

you "think"?
I am color deficient, so I ask my girlfriend to read ALL water tests.
When I do the pH, she says it's 8.2, but when I look at it... I scratch my head and ask myself how the heck she sees that color. heh
When you add salt, it should set the pH automatically, you shouldn't need to add anything. Is this a new tank?

loopy101

did you do the water test this morning? ph is usually lower in the mornings. but what are the test results? including alk, calcium?

snaredrum

I had the same problem. Found out I was buying premixed saltwater for water changes from my LFS and that was the problem. Bought an RO/DI and started mixing my own and now problem solved. The money I'm saving not buying the saltwater and additives has paid for the RO/DI. Just a thought. Also try checking the calcium and alk. I bet they are off also.

flower

No way is the Sg reading what you posted. First recheck the SG. Most hydometers have a safe zone marked right on it. Is your Sg in the safe zone? A PH that low should have the answer of not in the safe zone.
That would mean for you to add more salt.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3073914

No way is the Sg reading what you posted. First recheck the SG. Most hydometers have a safe zone marked right on it. Is your Sg in the safe zone? A PH that low should have the answer of not in the safe zone.
This is my thought also. I do know that most salt mix has a chart showing SG Vs. PH and Calcium levels. I would get rid of the hydro and get a refract. A lot better for checking SG.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3073914

Hi there,
Why is it impossible to have an specific gravity of 1.0215 with a pH level of 7.4? Or what do you mean, I am confused.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by locoyo386
http:///forum/post/3074416
Hi there,
Why is it impossible to have an specific gravity of 1.0215 with a pH level of 7.4? Or what do you mean, I am confused.
pH tends to correlate to specific gravity, meaning as specific gravity increases, so does the pH.
Alkalinity, or carbonate hardness, is the bridge between the two.
What salt mix are you using, what hydrometer, and what pH test? How many times have you tested the sg and pH, and how often?

locoyo386

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/3074683
pH tends to correlate to specific gravity, meaning as specific gravity increases, so does the pH.
Alkalinity, or carbonate hardness, is the bridge between the two.
Hi there,
Can you explain "tends to correlate". If I understand your point correctly, pH level depends on specific gravity and viseversa. A low spefic gravity indicates a low pH and a high specific gravity indicates a high pH level. I still do not understand the corrolation. If pH depends on spefic gravity than a low pH would not be possible when you have a high specific gravity (1.025), is this correct? If you pH level drops from 8.4 to say 7.2, than your specific gravity will drop from 1.025 to something lower, is this correct?

xcali1985

Originally Posted by Snaredrum
http:///forum/post/3074409
This is my thought also. I do know that most salt mix has a chart showing SG Vs. PH and Calcium levels. I would get rid of the hydro and get a refract. A lot better for checking SG.

You know a few months ago when I started i had a hydro and it kept giving me a .008 reading for my RO water didn't trust it in my tank as it kept a salty residue in it, I went and bought a refractometer and its amazing how fast and easy it is to check they are only 10-15$ more than a hydro and will save you headaches later.
Lets just put it this way my SG was reading 1.035 with the hydro and once i got the refracto it was reading 1.024.
If im not mistaken 1.022 is great for Fish only, 1.023 for FOWLR and 1.025 is what Reef tanks need. Currently im at 1.025.
I also had a problem with my pH when I first started, my levels for everything were all over the place. if its still cycling do what I did, wait until its done, then try to get things balanced for the next week, once they are steady for 2 days or so throw in some fish.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by locoyo386
http:///forum/post/3074882
Hi there,
Can you explain "tends to correlate". If I understand your point correctly, pH level depends on specific gravity and viseversa. A low spefic gravity indicates a low pH and a high specific gravity indicates a high pH level. I still do not understand the corrolation. If pH depends on spefic gravity than a low pH would not be possible when you have a high specific gravity (1.025), is this correct? If you pH level drops from 8.4 to say 7.2, than your specific gravity will drop from 1.025 to something lower, is this correct?
Sorry for the tardy response, was out of town for the holidays.
Specific gravity is a function of the salinity of the water. Salinity is the function of the amount of salt dissolved in the water.
Salt has alkaline buffering capabilities. What that basically means is that the more salt present, the more able the system is to reach a more alkaline state, and a higher pH.
Therefore, as salinity increases, buffering increases, and pH should increase.
The should is there, because other chemical compounds can reduce the pH, by reacting with the buffer. This is why pH and alkalinity don't go hand-in-hand. Alkalinity tends to trend more long-term, while pH can change hourly, as it is dependent on many more factors.
So when you get your alk test in and test your tank, one of two things will happen:
1. Alkalinity normal. In this case, your pH is low probably due to dissolved organics.
2. Alkalinity low. This would explain your low pH. The problem is, what explains your low alk. Could be your sg reading is off, could be you have a bad mix of salt.
Once you can test alk, this will be easier to diagnose.