ph problem

kris

Please help--- the ph in my marine tank is about 7.8 and I can't get it up. I have tried adding additional crushed coral, I have been using Kent Marine ph buffer daily for 13 days and now switched to Aquarium Pharmaceuticals "proper ph 8.2" That isn't working either. The fish I have don't seem overly concerned, but I am expecting a new arrival and need things to be perfect.
ANY IDEAS??????

kris

Well, RR, (or anyone else that might have an idea) dissolved oxygen is very good, unable to locate test for carbon dioxide, but did find KH. How's this for weird? With all my buffering, I've sent the KH off the charts, way off- ( I stopped counting at 19) but the PH still hasn't come up. How hazardous is this high KH/low PH condition to my fish do you think???

peter

Originally posted by Kris:
Please help--- the ph in my marine tank is about 7.8 and I can't get it up. I have tried adding additional crushed coral, I have been using Kent Marine ph buffer daily for 13 days and now switched to Aquarium Pharmaceuticals "proper ph 8.2" That isn't working either. The fish I have don't seem overly concerned, but I am expecting a new arrival and need things to be perfect.
ANY IDEAS??????

Its funny I had the exact same problem, used proper ph 8.2.But was stuck at 7.8.I was told to contact the manufacturers of the product.Every time I do a 20% water change I' ve been adding more proper ph 8.2 eventually it will get up there, right now its at about 8.0.Also dont expect to see a change right away, proper ph 8.2 works slowly, this keeps the fish from stressing.

kris

FYI- After consulting all of resources I have
and getting all different answers or no answers at all. I thought I'd share what I've learned---carbo dioxide via seltzer water(carbonated water) is the most effective way of lowering the kh in your tank. Low ph is best combatted with a marine buffer like seachems marine buffer, but you have to add the right products as most buffers will also raise the kh. ph/kh problems aren't always because of lack of water changes, nor is crushed coral an adequate buffer. In my case the problem was my water supply itself. So here's the jist of it--if you have a low ph but an ok kh use seachems marine buffer, if you have a low kh but an ok ph, use the reef builder, and if you have a low ph and a low kh the use the super-buffer dkh. All ph fixers are not created equal. So if you ever need this info, you won't have to go to the trouble I did to get the answers.

eric

I have also found that useing differnt prouducts can also cause a problem.Find a prouduct you like and trust and stay with it.my p.h. problems stemed from the water quality that i was using in my water changes after aprox.30 hours the p.h. would crash.use good water and buffers when you change your water.