PH Question

p fish

Was just wandering, I have two tanks, 125g Fish, LR LS and a 75g reef small fish LR LS. I did a 10% water change this past weekend and all is well but the PH, it has drop completely of the scale. What could have caused this. All other reading are great....help please :confused:

porkypuffer

MY PH DROPS A LITTLE (FROM 8.3 TO 8.0) WHEN I DO A WATER CHANGE BUT NOT OFF THE SCALE. IF YOUR FISH DON'T SHOW SIGNS OF STRESS, I'D QUESTION THE RESULTS AND TRY ANOTHER TEST KIT.

I agree. A ten percent water change should not have dropped the PH off the scale, maybe possibly if the water that was changed was salt and the water that went in was straight r/o or tap. Salt mix have the buffers to maintain a stable ph so you should have seen minimal PH fall if any at all. Most I have seen is from 8.2-8.4 down to about 8 flat, in which case I used super buffer dkh to adjust. I would watch the fish closely and use a different test kit to confirm your suspicions, or take it to the lfs and have them test it for you. BTW, if you are using red sea's kits I would DEFINITELY suspect the test as IME, these kits have failed me greatly in the past, but thats me..maybe different for you. gl.

it is nearly impossible the ph droped off the scale .make sure your test kit is right against another one