Ph question

barrera23

I got another question ............. If the PH is below 8.2 what might happen to the fish and if the PH is above 8.2 what might happen ...... I know someone that thinks its no big deal if the PH is a little bit below 8.2

jarvis

sounds perfectly fine to me. often times Ph problems come from poor gas exchange or chemical inballances. Ph has a natral swing from day and night due to photosinthesis and fish resperation.

bdhough

saltwater ph can be 7.8 to 8.6. So long as the ph remains stable then its nothing to worry about. 8.2 is a good number to shoot for.

broomer5

pH range between 8.0 to 8.2 are acceptable and ideal in many folks opinion.
When the pH rises up above 8.3 or so, much of the less toxic ammonium changes over to the more toxic ammonia, especially if we keep our tanks at higher temperatures.
Obviously this can cause delicate fish and inverts some serious problems.
Higher pH typically will make it harder to keep the tankwater saturated with calcium.
Lower pH values below 7.8 or so, can lead to problems as well.
Normally, many of the nuisance algaes and cynobacteria will tend to grow better when the pH is down.
The amount of calcium and total alkalinity is also affected by the pH.
If you have extreme low pH, you may find some dissolving of your substrate, should it be of a calcium carbonate material.
If this is happening - you're in deep you know what if you have fish/inverts.
Swings during the day are fine - but a constant high or constant low would indicate something out of whack with the tankwater/tank.

barrera23

The Ph Is always at 8.0 but I know 8.2 is recomended. I just didnt know if over the long run it would affect the fish