PH tester and kalkwasser questions

chr11tar22

I am trying to add a kalkwasser doser to my aquarium...In my readings I am led to believe that PH may offset because of the amount of calcium being released into the water.
I have allot of brain corals and soft corals, polyps and mushrooms.....I thought that since I cannot afford a calcium reactor currently I would try this approach.
Here's my question, I want to purchase a PH tester from milwaukee instruments for 49.00, it states that I have to purchase caliberation fluid. I have no idea as to which one to choose from....4.01, 7.01 or 10.01....since I need to be in the range of 8.1 - 8.4 ph should I assume 10.01?
Also, the kent marine doser I am going to try.....should I direct the line into the aquarium or the sump? I am a little uneasy about hanging doser from the wall....any other ideas...ie coat stand?? My skimmer is in the sump and I think the kalkwasser would get skimmed?
75gal tank
16gal refug
sump
100gal skimmer
Current pc compact lighting 4x135watts

coachwah

I could be wrong on this, but I am a science teacher and we have digital pH monitors that have to be calibrated from time to time. Our monitors require a calibration using 7 and 4 or 10. The directions do not state using one or the other just that you need a neutral and a high or low to calibrate correctly. I have tested the aquarium in my classroom after calibrating with 7 and 4 and the reading was in range with a chemical test done immediately after. HTH.
Ken

ezee

chr11tar22,
Just an idea, as I am a noob, but you may want to test both before you invest, so you know exactly what your levels are. Maybe it will help you make some of those decisions. I always try to be informed before committing my resources. Just a thought.
E

reefnut

First thing to do is get a alkalinity and calcium test kit and see what your levels are. Dosing blindly is a very bad idea.
Kalk has a PH of around 12 or so... this is why it need to be slowly dripped in and why it can have such an impact on your PH. Look in the "Helpful Threads" post on top of the Reef forum for a post called kalk 101 or something like that... everything you need to know.
When calibrating use the 7 & 10... don't worry about the 4. You will be measuring around 8.0-8.4 so that is the best range to calibrate.