phosban in sump

espkh9

i run a wet dry and a super skimmer...I put a media bag filled with phosban on one side of the foam box that comes with the skimmer it is sometimes out of the water when the level is low and sometimes in the water but there is a constant water flow running through the media bag filled with phosban...I have a reactor just dont know hoe to set it up...my questions are what im doing is it pointless to reduce phosphates ? and can the media bag with phosban be out of water as long as theres a strong flow of water flowing through it into the sump then back into the dt ?
thanks.

mr_x

i'm not sure that what you are doing is completely ineffective, but i know media like carbon and phosban work alot better with water being forced through it, instead of something passive like a bag in the sump.

espkh9

well thats all I can do for now since I have a phosphate reactor but can't figure out how to set it up. how long does phosban last for ?

sammyw

I think they recommend 8 hours to two days max. I run it through a phosban reactor and it seems to help. (Although I currently have a red algae problem!!!)

burpuffer

You want to run phosban 24/7 and try to have it in a reactor. If it is in a media bag try to have it in a place where water can flow through. You dont want to just throw it in the sump for a soak.

wangotango

Originally Posted by burpuffer
http:///forum/post/2568220
You want to run phosban 24/7 and try to have it in a reactor. If it is in a media bag try to have it in a place where water can flow through. You dont want to just throw it in the sump for a soak.

You want water to flow through it, but not break it up as the dust from the ground-up particles is not good.
Do you have the two little fishes phosban reactor? If so, it's pretty easy to hook up. All you need is a small pump like the minijet 404 and some vinyl tubing.
-Justin

espkh9

yes that is the one ill look into it again and i have to get a small pump and vinyl tubing.i hope it fits in the cabinet next to the skimmer...

espkh9

for now what I did was I moved the phosban media bag from the sump that it was just soaking in and then i tried putting it near the foam of the skimmer where water flows but the phosphates did not go down and it did not help much. so i moved the phosban into the compartment where the filter floss pads are ...I run a wet dry with a 36 gallon sump. underneath the filter pads is another compartment with LR in that I use instead of bio balls..the water is running hard directly through the phosban and into the filter pads floss and then down the holes to the rocks then to the sump then through the skimmer and back into the DT...If I missed anything or if anyone sees any problems from what I did please let me know..I'm trying to cure my algae issue although minor i want the phosphates at 0 not 0.5 plus I want the best water quailty for my corals. my tangs (purple,regal) like the algae but I offer them algae sheets daily. anyways sorry for the long response.. did I do this right for now until I get a small pump and set up the reactor will this work out..just a side note the phosban has been sittin in the sump for 2 weeks..I hope it didin't get ruined in those 2 weeks and ~I hope it still works after soaking for 2 weeks.

michaeltx

have you figured out where the phosphates where coming into the system at. you may be adding them to the system faster than the phosban can take them out so you wouldnt see a lowering in them. also if there is algae in the tank as it dies off it will release any phosphates back into the system. do you know if any of that is going on in your system?
Mike

espkh9

how would I know what phosphates go into my system the only thing I put in that might have phosphates is food and I mainly use formula 1 pellets and formula frozen reef cubes...and I belive they are either phosphate free or low on phosephates...pleasexplain hat you mean..like the salt I use is -- it says no phosphates...I put in algae sheets and nori...thank you.