PhosBan Reactor 150

sergeant

Do any of you guys use one of this reactors?
How much PhosBan should I put in the reactor for a 37 gallon tank? :help:

robchuck

Admittedly, I jumped on the bandwagon for these back in April. I started by using approx. 75g of Phosban on my 65 gallon reef. Some nuisance algae that I couldn't get rid of died under the Phosban treatment. When the media became exhausted, I switched to a similar amount of ROWAphos media. The rest of the nuisance algae died after about a month, but my SPS corals all started browning out. I then switched to carbon, and feel this has done my tank well.
I'm putting together a 29 gallon tank right now, and am going to try a small quantity of Phosban (I think the ROWAphos media was too efficient; the Phosban stripped the phosphates out of the water slower) and see what happens.
In regards to how much media to use, I think a little less than 1g of media per gallon is a good starting point.

sergeant

Thanks Rob.
Do you think this will hurt what I have already in the tank?
1 Bubble tip anemone
1 xenia
2 frags of green star polyps
orange ricordeas
green ricordeas
I also have two types of polyps I have no idea what kind are they. :happyfish

sergeant

The pic on top the polyps that look like brown hair behind the ricordeas and in this pic the very small polyps on the rocks.
Any ideas?

robchuck

Sergeant,
You should be fine using Phosban with what you have in the tank. I have some rics, zoas, xenia, polyps, and a few LPS corals that made it through the Phosban and ROWAphos treatments just fine. The SPS corals that browned out were the only ones that suffered.

sergeant

I read in one of the post here that carbon would remove minerals and nitrients of the water.
Is it safe to use it in a reef tank? If it is safe
How much carbon would I have to use in my 37 gallon tank?
How long do you run your reactor with carbon in it?
By the way I tested the water for phosphates and the result is zero. It worked like a champ. So far everything in the tank seem to be doing just fine and the rocks are starting to clear up slowly. Thanks for all your feedback.
Tito